The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Trip Report - Jan 28-Feb14, 2017 part 1
Posted by: SXMNorm (---.lightspeed.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 07, 2017 02:38PM

TRIP REPORT - January 28, February 14, 2017 part 1
AIR – AA St Louis to Charlotte to SXM down. SXM to Miami to St Louis return. All flights were on time or early, except return flight from Miami to St Louis, which was 2 hours late. Tickets for this trip were bought early May, 2016. $637.50 rt/person.
CAR – angela@horizoncarrentals.com Angela was waiting for us as we exited the airport. A quick check of the car and spare tire, an experienced stuffing of car with luggage and bodies, a “rubbing” of credit card, and we were off. Angela was there at 7am outside the airport for our departure and to take back the car. No problems with car. $450.00
PHONE – Sharon, www.queenofsxm.com Located at the Royal Palm by the drawbridge, an easy access to pick up a phone. With time it was $45.00.
GROCERIES - Jeannie and her company Shop N Drop Groceries SXM . Stopping at the grocery store with a car crammed full of people and luggage is not a good idea. Arriving at your residence with a frig stocked with essentials, like a cold soda and/or beer, is a great idea. Jeannie and her crew are the best.
Oyster Bay Beach Resort – Our home for the first two weeks. The “room assignment gods” smiled on us this year with a first floor room overlooking the pool.
[i216.photobucket.com]
[i216.photobucket.com]
Turquoise Shell Inn – Our last three days were spent here. If you weren’t aware, Carter, finally sold the Inn in May 2016 to the Island family that bottles and distributes Heavenly Water on SXM. Since then The Inn has been undergoing renovations. Most of the first floor units have now been completed, with a new enlarged front porch. [i216.photobucket.com] . The kitchen has been redone. [i216.photobucket.com] The bath has been modernized. [i216.photobucket.com] And all floors in each unit have been covered with new tile. The pool also has a new deck surface. [i216.photobucket.com]
This was going to be a somewhat challenging year for restaurant selection. Tom like lots of protein in his meals. Judy was trying to stay on her Weight Watchers diet, Betty was trying to eat more and gain weight, and I was just trying to enjoy a meal.
So after unpacking, it was time for some food. A quick drive around Oyster Pond to a favorite, Dinghy Dock. Betty and I split a rib plate. [i216.photobucket.com] It’s $15.00. There is NO service charge at Dinghy Dock.
This was Tom’s Fish & Chips. [i216.photobucket.com]
And this was Judy’s Creole Grouper. [i216.photobucket.com]
The next morning we celebrated being in SXM in our room with croissants from Pier Grocery(4). This is their Raisen Roll. [i216.photobucket.com]
Other breakfasts were at Mr Busby’s(2). Two eggs, bacon, a johnny cake, and coffee and two eggs with sausage/ toast, and tea was $22.50. If you have a Jeff Berger coupon it saves you 15% . And there is NO 15% service charge at Mr Busby’s. If you want to save a little more and don’t care about the home fries, order off the “sides” section of menu. 2 eggs are $3.00, forgot what Johnny Cake and Bagel and Cream Cheese is.
Star Dock(2) – Star Dock is located at the end of the pier across from My Busby’s. Wonderful place to enjoy the morning and watch the marina activity. It’s run by this young lady, Theresa. [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] Judy had scrambled eggs which were cooked like a crepe, very thin. [i216.photobucket.com] I had a slice of fresh from the oven bacon/spinach quiche. [i216.photobucket.com] With coffee, it’s $8.50. There’s NO service charge at Star Dock.
Went to the Marigot Market on a Saturday, so had to stop at Sarafinis for a ham and cheese croissant. [i216.photobucket.com]
They seem to have cut down on the amount of items in the display cases, but there’s still way more than you can choose from.
Went to Phillipsburg on Monday morn because there was only suppose to be one ship in port. We arrived about 9:30. The cruise ship didn’t arrive to almost noon, we found out, so many places were not open when we got there. One place open for breakfast was Gusto’s. [i216.photobucket.com] It looked nice and we chose to eat inside as opposed to the picnic tables/benches on the beach. We all order eggs, over easy. Well, either the chef wasn’t familiar with that term or he wasn’t paying attention, but all orders came with the eggs hard. They were served on a piece of stale toast. It might have been passable had the eggs been “over easy” , but they weren’t. Tom sent his back to be redone. The rest of us, just ate them. 2 eggs with toast was $6. [i216.photobucket.com] Judy had a bowl of fresh fruit which was good, but also a little strange, because some pieces of fruit were diced very small. [i216.photobucket.com] .
Vensa Taverna – Always look forward to seeing Sally who manages the place during breakfast. Sadly, for the third time, over the last couple trips, their French Toast which is my favorite and suppose to be served with a dollop of whipped cream on each piece, was naked. They were out of whipped cream. Everyone else enjoyed their order and it was good to see Sally’s smiling face. Also saw Patty, who is a regular there when she’s on Island.
St Maarten Yacht Club – Another wonderful place to enjoy the weather of SXM in the morning. 2 eggs with bacon, toast and fresh fruit instead of potatoes is $9.00. [i216.photobucket.com]
Our last breakfast was in the airport after security at Johney Burger. A Johnny Cake with butter and jelly. A fitting end to our trip. [i216.photobucket.com]

Lunches – Again since were staying at OBBR, many of our lunches were from either Beau Beau’s or Infinity Bar.
At Beau Beau’s we tried their;
Cheeseburger -
[i216.photobucket.com] $11.95+ sc.
Chicken Caesar Wrap –
[i216.photobucket.com] - $13.00+sc.
Tom had their Fried Chicken [i216.photobucket.com]
Judy had their Chef Salad
[i216.photobucket.com]
She also tried their Beet Salad - [i216.photobucket.com]
Beau Beau’s is open to the public and has a wonderful view while eating lunch. [i216.photobucket.com]
At Infinity Bar we tried their;
CheeseBurger –
[i216.photobucket.com]
The Beef Tacitos –
[i216.photobucket.com]
The Chicken Caesar Salad - [i216.photobucket.com] which is $15.50.
Tom tried their Sliders - [i216.photobucket.com]
Orange Fever – On our visit to Orient Beach we went to an old favorite, Orange Fever. [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] It was in midst of remodeling the last time we were there. Betty and I split their Chicken Caesar Salad.
[i216.photobucket.com] It was $13.50.
Judy had their mussels- [i216.photobucket.com] Their price on mussels is very close to Mark’s Place. The difference is in the size of the mussel. For quantity go to Mark’s. For size go to Orange Fever.
Shots of Passion Fruit came with the bill.
Our last three days on SXM while staying at Turquoise Shell Inn we visited El Zafaro restaurant/beach. Here’s their menu. [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com]
We started each visit with a BBC which are great because they use real bananas. They were $9.50 each.
For lunch we tried their Chicken wings - [i216.photobucket.com]
With two BBC’s and the wings it was $37.00
This is their fried spicy pork bites with plantain. [i216.photobucket.com] It was $13.00
Their Cheese Sticks - [i216.photobucket.com] $7.00
The beach there is wonderful. [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com]

Options: ReplyQuote

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |