The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Trip report May 3-17, 2016 (part 1)
Posted by: SXMNorm (---.lightspeed.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 26, 2015 10:05PM

Trip Report - May 3 – 17, 2015 (Part 1)

Flights - Travel down was on USAir through Charlotte. No problems, on time. Trip home was on American through Miami was somewhat less than pleasant. In their quest for customer satisfaction and loyality, AA totally canceled our afternoon return flight from Miami to St Louis and put us on their 6:20pm flight. Of course, we left SXM on their 7:45 am flight to Miami, were through all C & I, luggage claim and recheck, TSI and back “in the loop” by 11.55am, giving us over six hours to enjoy the Miami airport.

Car – Once again we rented from angela@horizoncarrentals.com $150./week for an I10 with a special discount if you pay cash. Very accommodating for pickup and drop-off.

PHONE - Sharon's Queen of SXM ( www.queenofsxm2000.com )– Reliable. Bought $10. of time which was plenty for the two weeks.

ROOMS - I won, well actually was an alternate winner, of a week at Vista Royale ( vistaroyale.com ) in Jeff Berger's Vacation Giveaway contest. Located in the Mount Vista community overlooking the cruise ship docks and Great Bay, this place is amazing. New owners, Larry and Deb, have done a lot of remodeling and upgrading. [s216.photobucket.com] , [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] It was the highlight of our trip. It also gave new meaning to “sand gravity”. Betty and I both would wake, grab some refreshment , and walk out on the patio [i216.photobucket.com] to watch the cruise ships dock [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] , the container ships being unloaded [i216.photobucket.com] , and all the other activities on Great Bay [i216.photobucket.com] . Full sun arrived around 10 or so. Floating in or hanging over the edge of the pool were are usual morning activities [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] . Yeh, life's tough sometimes.
We backed up our week at Vista Royale with a week at our home resort, Oyster Bay Beach Resort ( www.oysterbaybeach resort.com ). It's recovered nicely from the damage in October of Hurricane Gonzolo. We had a third floor(getting tough on old peoples knees) one bedroom unit with a peaceful view overlooking the Marina. [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com]
Dawn Beach, like all the Atlantic side beaches, continues to be plagued with the seaweed. No amount cleanup can keep up with the massive flows of the stuff. [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com]
To take your mind off the seaweed, the grounds keeping staff has done a wonderful job with flowers around the Resort. [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] The Resort is also starting a renovation/remodel of it's Infinity Restaurant and Bar. [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] To accommodate guests, Beau Beau's has increased it's hours and menu. There is also limited seating in the Courtyard .

Places We Ate:

Breakfasts-

Sarafini's in Marigot across from The Market. With it's cases of “goodies” [i216.photobucket.com] , narrowing to one or two items is almost impossible. We settled on a chocolate twist and a raisen roll. [i216.photobucket.com]

Top Carrot – We met Jeannie of SXM Shop N Drop at Top Carrot [i216.photobucket.com] in Simpson Bay for breakfast one morn. [i216.photobucket.com] I had a Cheese Omelet ($7.50) along with a fruit smoothie. No service charge here.

Pier Grocery, on the road across from Mr Busby's, and The Bodega, on the dock of the OBBR marina. supplied various croissants during our week at OBBR. The croissants were good to the last flake. [i216.photobucket.com]

Mr Busby's – Despite the seaweed, breakfast at Mr Busby's is an enjoyable experience, especially if you have a 15% off coupon from Jeff Berger's Site. Betty had two eggs and an English Muffin [i216.photobucket.com] while I had two eggs, with potatoes, bacon, and a Johnny Cake [i216.photobucket.com] With two drinks and the discount, the meal was $16.40 . There was no service charge and they don't take credit cards.

Lunches -

Caribbean Blend – On the Boardwalk [i216.photobucket.com] . One of our favorites. Chef Romaine, [i216.photobucket.com] grills up good stuff! This is their rib plate, partially split, along with one of Suzette's Mango Coladas. [i216.photobucket.com] It's $14.00. for the rib plate. The Colada is $5.

Mark's Place – We stopped here twice for their snack size(about 10ribs) rib plate($11.) This is a partially eaten pic. [i216.photobucket.com] There is no service charge at Mark's Place. We also stopped for a cheeseburger, along with two cokes $13.00. [i216.photobucket.com]

Carl & Sons – Located on Salt Pond Rd. Popular sandwich shop on SXM with a couple locations. We had the roast beef sandwich ($9.) which we took back to Vista Royale to eat. [i216.photobucket.com]

12 Meter Yacht Restaurant & Bar – After a walk of the Boardwalk, I stopped at 12 Meter Yacht for a take out order of ribs and took them back to Vista Royale to eat [i216.photobucket.com] .

Beau Beau's – Located overlooking Dawn Beach, Beau Beau's serves two of most favorite meals. Their Chicken Caesar Salad is, in our opinion, the BEST on SXM. [i216.photobucket.com] Their dressing is very creamy with a hint of anchovy and lots of grated parmesan. It's $13.95. There is a service charge at Beau Beau's. Enjoyed it twice on this trip.
Our other favorite at Beau Beau's is their Guavaberry Ribs. [i216.photobucket.com] $14.95. If you visit BB's, there are ribs on the menu, but you must ask for Guavaberry Ribs. Hardly ever even on the special menu for the day, but always available if you ask.
We also tried and enjoyed their Turkey/Bacon Club Wrap.

Star Dock - Fairly new, opening in October of 2014. [i216.photobucket.com]
Located at the far end of the dock between Pier Grocery and Canoa. Run by Katy. [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] I had a piece of bacon quiche. [i216.photobucket.com] Betty had a croque monsieur. [i216.photobucket.com] With a glass of homemade lemonade with a hint of ginger and a tea. The bill was $19. There is no service charge. Relaxing, pleasant place at the end of the dock. [i216.photobucket.com] Just a view from my chair. [i216.photobucket.com]

Lunch on Room Balcony – Left over Broccoli and Beef from the Sukee Chinese restaurant. Our guest moocher enjoyed a couple pieces of the broccoli. [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com]

Options: ReplyQuote

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |