The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Trip Report - Jan30-Feb17, 2015(part 1)
Posted by: SXMNorm (---.lightspeed.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 21, 2015 10:17PM

TRIP REPORT - Jan 30- Feb 17, 2015 (part 1)

Another wonderful trip. Think this was #26. Still finding new places and enjoying old favorites.

AIR: Bought tickets on American for this trip March 31, 2014 for $544.31 pp/rt. which meant that I wasn't suppose to pay any luggage fee on our first checked bags, since the ticket was bought before the April 8, 2014 deadline for free bags. However, and there's always a “however”, things changed between March and this past January. American changed their St Louis to Miami schedule which would have made us miss the early MIA/SXM flight leaving us to enjoy the Miami airport for seven hours. Not real high on my enjoyment list. So after a call to American, we were rebooked on an American flight operated by USAir through Charlotte and then onto SXM arriving around 2pm.
Since we were now flying our outboard flight on USAir, the free luggage idea was out. So add an extra $25. /pp to that ticket price. Outbound flight even arrived a little early giving us a chance to meet up with friends, Wayne and Louise. [i216.photobucket.com] Being early also gave us a chance for a celebration drink at SMYC. Celebrating being back in SXM and also toasting Joyce's birthday. [i216.photobucket.com]
Flying home we were back on American through Miami with no luggage charge. The Miami “walk forever to C & I” has been reduced with the addition of a segment on their train. It was a little less than hour from deboarding to getting back in “the loop”. Pretty reasonable considering past years. Of course, we were flying on Tuesday and not a weekend. We were early into the C & I area.

CAR: Horizon Car Rentals - This is the fifth time we have used Angela@www.horizoncarrentals.com Again rented a Toyota Corolla to help traveling companion, Tom @ 6'9, get his feet inside the car. Got a good deal paying cash, $450. for two weeks and three days. I did get involved in a slight accident on the winding road to OBBR one night in the rain. Wasn't my fault as the local coming up the road cut a corner through my lane. Slick roads kept me from completely stopping and his back fender dented my front fender. I should have called police and made a report, but didn't because of the hour, but if there's a next time, I will. Did give Angela his name, address, and license #.

PHONE: www.QUEENOFSXM.com Sharon is located in the Royal Palm complex. Easy pickup, drop off. No problems.

ROOM: Oyster Bay Beach Resort – www.obbr.com We own two weeks here. They accommodated our special request for a first level room as three of the four of us had a foot, ankle, or knee problems this trip. We enjoyed a two bedroom unit facing the Atlantic Ocean with a nice view of St Barts, on a clear day. [i216.photobucket.com]
The resort is in good shape and pretty well recovered from the October hurricane. Some tree damage is still slightly noticeable. Check in is nice with a live music in the courtyard as well as a glass of champagne. [i216.photobucket.com]
No construction going on at this time, however,......plans to enlarge and renovate the Infinity restaurant and bar are in the works. Probably starting late spring. Beau Beau's is also scheduled for some work.
The only negative about OBBR is the further eroding of their “flex-weeks” program.
Turquoise Shell Inn – www.tshellinn.com We usually spend our last few days on SXM here. Close to the airport. Walking distance to many restaurants as well as only steps away from Simpson Bay Beach, which is long and sandy. Our host Carter, works hard to be very helpful and accommodating. Cornelia does an excellent job with housekeeping. The TSI is for sale if anyone is interested. Carter says several people are looking, but no money has changed hands yet.

BREAKFASTS:

Many of our breakfasts were on our deck overlooking the Ocean with croissants from the Pier Grocery. My favorite was the Swiss Brick.($2.50) [i216.photobucket.com]

On our Wednesday visit to the Marigot Market we stopped by Sarafinis for some breakfast goodies. I had a ham and cheese croissant 3.50E. [i216.photobucket.com]

Infinity – A nice breakfast buffet courtesy of our sales rep at OBBR

We did visit Sally at The Bagel House which is part of VesnaTaverna located on Airport Rd. [i216.photobucket.com] I had my usual French Toast($6.95). [i216.photobucket.com] Judy had a Bagel with Lox [i216.photobucket.com] Tom had the Eggs Benedict [i216.photobucket.com] Betty had the French breakfast with a croissant and fresh fruit.

Our last morning together we walked to the St Maarten Yacht Club Restaurant. We all had the two eggs with hashbrowns, bacon, and toast($9.00). Sorry, no pics. There is no service charge at SMYC.

LUNCHES:

Orange Fever – Our first real beach day started at Orient with chairs, umbrella, and drink for $15.00. [i216.photobucket.com]
Bruce, Susan, Britt, and Dave also were there. [i216.photobucket.com] Lunch was a Caesar Salad and a Fish Burger. [i216.photobucket.com] Followed by Profiteroles on the beach [i216.photobucket.com] How great is that?!

Beau Beau's – Several lunches were here because it's right on Dawn Beach and you can charge the meal to your room so you don't have to carry cash on the beach.
Our favorite ribs – Guavaberry Ribs are served here, although not on the printed menu, but available if you ask your server. [i216.photobucket.com] Grilled ribs, not boiled, with a tropical glaze infused with Guavaberry, and a little spice. ($14.95) Another favorite at Beau Beau's is their Chicken Caesar Salad. A large piece of slice, grilled chicken breast on a bed of Romaine with plenty of dressing. ($13.95)
If you stop, say hello to our favorite waiter, Vincent. You can't miss his smile. [i216.photobucket.com]

La Croisantiere – On the Marigot Marina. This little outdoor, but covered place serves a really lunch. We stopped as we took Betty's hairdresser, John, and friend on on Island Tour from their Cruise. Betty and I shared our favorite salad , La Parisane( or something like that). [i216.photobucket.com] Here's their Greek salad. [i216.photobucket.com] And their Chicken Salad. [i216.photobucket.com] Don't have prices because John paid for it. Thanks John.

Infinity – OBBR - Lasagna comes with a salad. ($13.95) [i216.photobucket.com] Ham & Cheese Croissants. ($9.95) [i216.photobucket.com]

Mark's Place – Following the Art Fair, we stopped at Mark's, most specifically so Judy could try their Mussels. You get quite a bucket full. [i216.photobucket.com] Betty and I limited ourselves to splitting a Chicken, Bacon, Gouda Burger. ($10.50). [i216.photobucket.com] And yes Judy DID finish ALL the mussels. [i216.photobucket.com]
No service charge is added at Mark's. Good place, good value, unique location.

Kali's at Friar's Beach – Fish Burger (14E) [i216.photobucket.com] They are not doing 1$=1E something like 1.2/1

Lotterie Farms – A first time visit. Here's page one of the lunch menu [i216.photobucket.com] I had the Asian Chicken Salad. (14E) [i216.photobucket.com] This is their Curried Shrimp Salad.[i216.photobucket.com] Their Curried Chicken [i216.photobucket.com] Their Spinach Salad with candied pecans and pears. [i216.photobucket.com]
Their Lamb Burger, which was one of their specials of the day.(14E) [i216.photobucket.com]
Betty and I also shared a Creme Brulee(8E).

St Maarten Yacht Club Restaurant & Bar – Tried their Chicken Caesar Salad($14.) [i216.photobucket.com]

Chez Raymonds – Baie Rouge - Chez Raymond's Menu. [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] We had their Cheeseburger(7E) with an order of fries(4E) a Ting(2E) and a Coke(2E) – [i216.photobucket.com] No service charge. Tom tried their mixed meat kabob. [i216.photobucket.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trip Report - Jan30-Feb17, 2015(part 1)
Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: February 23, 2015 09:48AM

very very nice trip report! thank you Norm!....

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: February 23, 2015 07:52PM

I'm hungry! I always get hungry reading your trip reports Norm! :-)

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: WWII (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2015 02:54PM

8 days to go for us, thanks for the Preview!

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |