The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Trip Report (part 1) Nov2-18, 2014
Posted by: SXMNorm (---.lightspeed.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 25, 2014 11:12AM

TRIP REPORT - November 2-18, 2014 (part 1)

Travel - Purchased tickets for this trip January 2014 on American - $ 493.41pp/rt. Somewhere in the March or April they changed the schedule. The change left Betty and I enjoying(?) the Miami airport for seven hours while we waited for the 5pm flight to SXM, so I called and they put us on the USAir flight going through Charlotte which allowed us to arrive in SXM around 2:45pm. We returned on the 9am AA flight to Miami and connected so we arrived in cold St Louis around 5pm. C & I in Miami was unexpectedly fast. From deboarding to standing in front of the flight gate /time board after TSA was just about an hour. Fortunately our plane unloaded and we got to immigration just a few minutes before the crowd really picked up. The only negative was our departure from St Louis which since we were now on USAir we had to pay $25/each for our first bag. Had I known I was going to be on USAir back in January, I would have used my USAir card for the purchase which entitles me to a free bag.

CAR – For the fifth time, we used Angela who owns Horizon Car Rentals, www.horizoncarrentals.com . $25./day with every seventh day free for an Hyundi L10. There's extra savings for paying cash. Car worked fine.

PHONE - Sharon's “queenofsxm2000@yahoo.com” Can't beat it. Easy pickup at Royal Palm. Reliable phone service all over Island.

ROOM - Oyster Bay Beach Resort, www.obbr.com. For the two weeks we had a one bedroom unit in the Mainsail Building with a Ocean/St Barts view. [i216.photobucket.com] We own at OBBR, but one of our two weeks was from a trade on II. Unfortunately, Hurricane Gonzola took out the AC. Parts had been shipped, but hadn't arrived and they still had to be installed, so we “roughed-it”. It really wasn't too bad, because of the great tradewinds blowing and fans in the room. They finally got our AC working 14 hours before we checked out. The resort took a hit from hurricane with broken windows, especially on the Lighthouse. As mentioned, AC units on rooms got damaged. Trees were damaged.
The Staff has and is working very hard to put everything back together and keep inconvience of guests to a minimum. Storms have continued to flood Dawn Beach with seaweed. [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] Here's a long view of Dawn beach. They keep cleaning the seaweed and dumping it down by the blue fence. The pile was higher by the time our two weeks were over. [i216.photobucket.com]

Liberty Inn – We spent our last two nights of this trip at Liberty Inn. [www.libertyinn-sxm.com] Liberty Inn is located behind and above The Taste Factory on Simpson Bay Rd. and sits along side of the Simpson Bay Lagoon on the back. Here's a view off the back deck. [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] It bills itself as a boutique hotel with six rooms. They rent by the day, week, month, year. This is the hallway. [i216.photobucket.com] Susan and Diane are managers and owners. Each room is different. We were in a room formerly occupied by Susan's Mother. Much of the furniture are antiques. [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com]

FOOD -

In Room - Pre-stocked before our arrival by the ever reliable Jeannie of SXM ShopN Drop( www.shopndropgrocerysxm.com ) Can't beat the service, especially if you're arriving late or on Sunday when some groceries close around 2pm.

Breakfast -

Pier Grocery – Located a few steps from the gate to OBBR and across from Mr Busby's in the Oyster Pond area, warm croissants and muffins are offered daily, but get there before 8am. Our first morning and several others started with Crossiants like this Almond one. [i216.photobucket.com] Betty likes the chocolate chip ones. I also tried the Swiss Chocolate Brick [i216.photobucket.com]

Mr Busby's – One morning we had breakfast here with Jeannie of Shop N Drop SXM. Two eggs with bacon, home fries and a Johnny Cake(instead of toast) is $9.95. Busby's has added more roofs over the eating areas. [i216.photobucket.com]

Mom's – A new place in the French Quarter a block off the main road from P-burg to Orient run by the same lady that owns and runs Chez Leandre(sp?) on Orient Beach. Here's her sign to look for. [i216.photobucket.com] . Here's my ham and cheese omelet that comes with some buttered French bread for $4.00. Here's the menu - [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com]
SMYC(St Maarten Yacht Club) - One of the best places for breakfast with a view of the yachts and sailboats coming and going. We enjoyed breakfast with my son's godparents from Wisconsin who were visiting and staying with friends at The Royal Palm. [i216.photobucket.com] 2 eggs, bacon, potatoes, toast is $9.00

Verna Taverna( The old Bagel House) – Now on Airport Rd across from it's old location. Sallie still shines every morning. Can't beat their French Toast with that dolup of whipped cream. [i216.photobucket.com] Of course they surgically remove all fat and calories before serving. Still $6.00

Options: ReplyQuote

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |