The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Relocating to St. Maarten
Posted by: EGinocchio (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: June 21, 2014 03:06PM

Just in the beginning stages... but looking to relocate to St Maarten. We are Americans, and have the income. We want to rent a bit before we start to look to purchase. We have only been to St. Maarten a couple of times, BUT we lived in the Netherland Antilles for over 10 years. We know it is more "Americanized", but we prefer to be in a nice "local" area with a 3/2 house and a garden. Lookng to be around 20 minutes or so from Little Bay / Phillipsburg area. I've been searching and the majority of rentals are all condos or apts. Can someone recommend a nice local neighborhood? Also I still have my Netherlands Antilles driver's license, is it valid on St. Maarten? Do I have to take another driving test etc?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Relocating to St. Maarten
Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: June 21, 2014 04:29PM

St Maarten is no longer part of the Netherlands Antilles as the Netherlands Antilles have been dissolved. St Maarten is a country by itself within the Kingdom of Netherlands, so you should check about immigration issue before making any move... just my humble opinion. As far as your driving license, I don't know if it would be recognized or not, Barbara may be able to answer that.
Regarding "local" neighborhood, it will depends on your definition of "local" as local and expats live pretty much all over the island, but in my opinion there are plenty of neighborhood that are very nice to live in... Madame Estate, Saunders, Cul de Sac, Upper Prince Quarter, Mary's Fancy, St Peter, etc....

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Re: Relocating to St. Maarten
Posted by: EGinocchio (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: June 21, 2014 05:54PM

Phillipe,

Thanks, Yep... I was living in the Antilles 10-10-10, so all aware. Our neighborhood was mostly local people, people that owned businesses, professionals, etc. Looking for a similar neighborhood. Don't want or need fancy. just a nice 3/2 with covered parking area or garage, with a nice outside porch area for relaxing, airco in the bedrooms, as long as good breeze. Nice garden so we can plant things. We want to rent, unfurnished/partial furnished is fine. Just don't want a "tourist" area. Our island has "neighborhoods" that were mostly for tourists, that people would buy then rent out to tourists, or would only live part time. Don't want that.

Thanks for the neighborhood list.

We will bring one vehicle with us after a few months, but I will need a rental for a few months... do they have long term car rental companies? Thanks.

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |