The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

TRIP REPORT - Jan28-Feb15, 2012 Part 1
Posted by: SXMNorm (---.dsl.stl2mo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 19, 2012 05:53PM

Trip Report – January 28 – February 15, 2012 (Part 1)

This was our 19th trip to SXM. My Brother, Bob, visited with us the first week. His first visit to SXM. Tom and Judy, “My Groupies”, as Cyndi at Tijon nicknamed them, joined us for the last 14 days of this trip. This was their third visit. They're addicted, like the rest of us.

FLIGHTS -

Bought our tickets for this trip four months and a week prior to boarding. As much as I dislike the thought of flying North to go South from St Louis, especially in winter, United's price, $570.pp, was too good to pass. So we flew STL to Newark on Friday, the 27th. Spent the night at the Wynham Garden Hotel for $103.90. Short Shuttle ride between. Little restaurant/bar on premises. Split a French Dip sandwich with beer and soda for $14.75 + tip. Some confusion finding the correct departure gate on Saturday, as the hotel flight board indicated we would leave from terminal C. However the Departure Board in Terminal C said the flight was leaving from terminal A. Left on time. Got to SXM 10 minutes early. Flight home was bumpy at least half the way, but on time. Customs was a breeze on Wednesday, 15th. Arrived home 10:40pm.

CAR -

Decided to try Mohammed's Rent A Wreck ( SXM@RENTAWRECK.COM ) because of the good price I was given. 18 days for a mid sized car, $609.64. Mohammed had good recommendations. Even though he had to leave SXM for family illness, the staff took good care of me, including bringing out an extra key when I locked mine in the car.

PHONE -

Sharon at ( queenofsxm2000@yahoo.com ). Easy to pick up and drop off. Phone worked all over SXM.

GROCERIES -

Because we had to wait for my brother's plane from Chicago and not knowing exactly what kind of delays traffic might drive into, I contacted Jeannie and her SHOP N DROP service ( www.shopndropgrocerysxm.com ). We were serving a breakfast to island friends on Sunday morning. After several emails and ideas, the menu was set and Jeannie took care of the rest. We were serving a fresh fruit salad with mango, papaya, and pineapple. Jeannie took it upon herself to purchase this three fruits earlier in the week so they would have time to ripen by Sunday morn. Can't beat that kind of service and thoughtfulness. She also recommended Piece of Cake Bakery for mini quiches which were also part of the menu. She met us at Oyster Bay Beach Resort just as we were checking in.
A Gooey Butter Cake(a unique St Louis treat)was hand carried through St Louis and Newark TSA and was the center piece of our meal.

ROOMS
-

Oyster Bay Beach Resort
– We own flex weeks at this resort. Still love it, in spite of new sales policies. Most of the rooms have now been renovated. We had a 1 bedroom unit overlooking Dawn Beach.
New Kitchen look - [i216.photobucket.com]

New Living area look - [i216.photobucket.com]
[i216.photobucket.com]
New Bedroom look - [i216.photobucket.com]
[i216.photobucket.com]
[i216.photobucket.com]
My Brother had a Studio unit overlooking Oyster Pond. His room had also been renovated.
Larger Kitchen area - [i216.photobucket.com]
Bedroom views - [i216.photobucket.com]
[i216.photobucket.com]
Bath area - [i216.photobucket.com]

The view across Dawn Beach still is a beautiful sight. [i216.photobucket.com]

We spent two weeks at Oyster Bay.
The last four nights of this trip we spent at our favorite little resort – Turquoise Shell Inn
(www.tshellinn.com) [i216.photobucket.com] Carter and Marcus are excellent hosts and work very hard to keep this place very clean, tropical [i216.photobucket.com] , [i216.photobucket.com] , [i216.photobucket.com]
[i216.photobucket.com]
and accommodating.

MEALS -

Breakfasts
- Most breakfasts were in our room, either with left overs or things we brought, but there were a few places we went out to.
Andy & Cheryl's - Took my brother, Bob, and friend, Tom. Tom had a Cheese Omelet, $8.50, I had 2 eggs scrambled, $7.50. Bob tried Cheryl's Special French Toast, [i216.photobucket.com]
It's $9.50.
Bagel House – Norm had the French Toast for $6.50. It's slices of french bread dipped in egg. Served with a dollup of whipped cream on each piece. Sorry no pics. Look in old reports for pic. Betty had the French Breakfast which included a croissant and fresh fruit with her eggs. $7.50.
St Maarten Yacht Club – No Pics. Did eat just after bridge opening so got to see some nice yachts pass by. 2 egg, bacon or sausage, toast, potatoes is $7.95.

The Taste Factory - [i216.photobucket.com] It's on Welfare Rd almost across from Toppers.
Found out that if you visit after 5pm you can get 8 crossiants, rolls, for $6. There is small print. Only one of each item or flavor. They were all good. Made for a nice breakfast in room.

Lunches
-
Beau Beau's(6) – Since we stayed at OBBR for two weeks and usually visited Dawn Beach in the morning, this was a convenient choice for lunch.
Each day they have two specials. Most commonly, a 1/3 # burger with fries and a soda, tea, or Corona for $8.95.
We also tried their Chicken Quesidillas [i216.photobucket.com] Not exactly what I was expecting. Good. $13.95.
No pics, but we had their Chicken Caesar Salad @13.50 which is very good.
The Fish Sandwich Special @$9.00 with slaw and fries.
Also good is their Chicken Caesar Wrap with slaw, salad, and two sodas, $17.90.
A 17%service charge is added to all meals served at Beau Beau's and Infinity restaurant at OBBR.

12 Metre Bar(2)
- [i216.photobucket.com]
On Bobby's Marina, next to 12 Metre Yacht Race. This place is now owned and run by the same people who made Dinghy Dock famous. Still have the same receipes. According to Mathew. [i216.photobucket.com]
if you're an old customer and ask, as they don't advertise it, you can still “pour your own” during Happy Hours. We had their Fish and Chips $14.00, which were terrific.[i216.photobucket.com] No service charges were added.

Sugar Cane Cafe
An old favorite. We had their French Dip that comes with fries. $13.00 No service charge added.

Orange Fever

Met Bruce and Susan, Dave and Britt here. Betty and I had the Fish Sandwich [i216.photobucket.com]
and Cheese Sticks and drinks - $20.. No service charge, $1=1E for cash.
Tom and Judy had the Chicken and Bacon Pizza [i216.photobucket.com] which they rated it the best they had on this trip.
2 chairs, Umbrella, and 2 drinks are $14.00.

Happy Island (on Union Rd next to Burger King)
A tradition continued as we stopped here to pick up chinese food when we visit the JAPEC International Swim Club. Salli(on right), Mei(in middle), are still working hard. Also have new help. [i216.photobucket.com]
We got their Sesame Sweat Sour Chicken - $10. The meals is way too much for one person.

Caribbean Blend (on the Boardwalk, on the little walkway connecting to Front St by straw market)
Finally got to meet the two brothers that own it, Romaine and Patrick, together. [i216.photobucket.com]
Here's Patrick grilling today. [i216.photobucket.com] Their menu. [i216.photobucket.com]
A rib plate - $14.00. [i216.photobucket.com] Suzette still tends bar and waits tables.
No service charge added.

Buccaneer Beach Bar(2)
This is almost always a first stop for a cheeseburger and BBC's . They're not using real bananas, but they still put a nice layer of chocolate around that cup. View is always wonderful. [i216.photobucket.com] 2 BBC's and a CheeseBurger is $23.00 No service charge added.

Barnacles
(Located behind Grand Marche on Simpson Bay)
A new and GOOD stop for us. Part owner Alberto, gave us a little history on the place. He's originally from Venezuela, but moved to Philadelphia at age 5. [i216.photobucket.com] His wife is from Greece. They met in Delaware. They originally were going to do Philly Cheese Steak sandwiches but opted to go the Greek route and make Gyro's, amoung other things. [i216.photobucket.com]
[i216.photobucket.com]
Chicken Gyro - [i216.photobucket.com]
Lamb Gyro - [i216.photobucket.com]
2 Gyros, Aussie fries, onion rings 4 Carib, 2 sodas - $36.50 with no service charge or tax.
Great new find. We'll go back. [i216.photobucket.com]
Alberto also mentioned that Happy Hour on Wednesday is for “boaters” of the Lagoon and it fun to see all the dinghy's crammed together with people walking from one to another to get to the dock.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TRIP REPORT - Jan28-Feb15, 2012 Part 1
Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: February 19, 2012 07:41PM

thanks for the trip report Norm. As usual, you have eaten at places I never even heard of. smileys with beer

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: pat (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 19, 2012 08:46PM

How does he do that every trip?

Thanks, Norm, like everyone else, I thoroughly enjoyed your report and the pictures.

But again, how do you do all that you do and then remember it all to write about it after the fact?

Amazing!!

Respectfully,

pat
smiling smileysmiling smiley

Posted by: photofun (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2012 10:48AM

Nice trip report. I love your review of the food and the places you stay. Great to get personal recommendations, so to speak.
thanks
Lynne

Posted by: SXMNorm (---.dsl.stl2mo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 20, 2012 09:00PM

Pat, I have 6 legal pad pages of notes. Having pictures helps too. Glad you enjoyed report.
Now I have to find out what I mentioned that Barbara hasn't eaten at.

Posted by: Elaine (---.caribserve.net)
Date: February 21, 2012 08:02AM

That's because Barbara never leaves the house!

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: February 24, 2012 04:54PM

Ain't that the truth! LOL

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |