- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
AAA, it is with Mr. Alain Arnell
Posted by: Grover (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 25, 2011 03:22PM

Per lots of gobeach input, I've chosen AAA for our rental wheels; weeks 49-50 coming up. Hopefully I return a cheerleader for Alain's business. I'll be sure to post my "feelings" as well as the facts, good or bad, upon our return. Catch me at WRCS51@aol.com if you'd like to hear the reasons for my decision. Again, thank you for the leads! Grover.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: AAA, it is with Mr. Alain Arnell
Posted by: satch (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: October 25, 2011 09:45PM

you made a wise decision

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: October 26, 2011 10:16AM

Have a good trip

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: WOW (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: November 13, 2011 06:21AM

The best decision was to rent a car. Now, you can really enjoy the island!!

Date: December 22, 2011 09:51PM

I promised to share my feelings and the facts about AAA. As promised - here goes - and I hope Arnell reads this. FYI, we arrived home on December 14th so I've settled down - somewhat.

Arrived on time and met Didi (a worker for Arnell) with a sign in his hand with my name as well as 2 others on it. Guess what; Didi shares with me that "the van has left with another customer and will be back shortly...EXACTLY what I didn't want to happen - left for the AAA lot? Couldn't possibly be, I thought. In a nutshell, I was told by Arnell that the car would be parked at the airport - ready to go after filling out the paper work. Horrible way to do business, just horrible. We waited near 15 minutes for that van to return FROM THE AAA LOT ! - how's that for starters?

Next, the issued car was an 04 or 05 Corolla; the driver's side visor fell out of the ceiling, the windshield washer did NOT work (safety issue big time), the key would not open the passenger's side door because the keyhole was smashed in, the electric window on the passenger side had to be pulled, by hand, to get it to finish closing, all 4 hub caps were missing with rusted out wheels, cuts in tires that after some thought were dangerous, and the brakes were mushy and squeaky. The car was given to me with less that 1/2 tank of gas. Lastly, everything black inside the car was covered with a product like Armour All that was the consistency of vaseline. Steering wheel was caked with the stuff - looked shiny - but, was far too slippery - and resultant greasy hands each time I drove. The car had 57,000 miles on it. That was Saturday - arrival day, I returned the car on Sunday due to the safety issues.

We get a 2nd Corolla on Sunday - this time with 47K miles if I remember right. Power steering was mushy, again the passenger side key hole was mashed so the key was inop on that side, the tire pressure looked good on the inspection but on Monday the fronts were near flat with slow leaks. Left rear tire had a 3 inch tear that I didn't notice on inspection, the A/C took near 30 minutes to "cool" the car and then it was weak - clearly not maintained. Lastly, the engine warning lite came on on Sunday evening. Returned the car on Monday. It gets worse.

Next we are issued an Enero (Nissan Altima equivalent) - a big car for getting around - in and out of tough spots and squeezing into small parking spots - NOT satisfactory - not near what we agreed upon. On this one, the steering wheel shimmyed with an alignment problem (pot hole result, I'm sure), glove box door fell off onto the floor when I went to put the paperwork in it. Had Myra, another employee, resolve that one - I was too pissed off to put it back together. There were 2 hubcaps missing with rusty wheels, and lastly the window washer sprayed up the windshield maybe 4 inches - workable but far from quality - again, it, again, was a safety issue.

I get it. AAA defenders will hindsight this with ease - I know that I should have paid my bill and walked away to another company. I chose not to because 3 days of my vacation were somewhat spoiled, already. I didn't care to mess up another one. So I kept the Enero in hopes it would not break down; it did not.

I did receive a phone call from Mr. Arnell as I was signing the papers for the 2nd Corolla. He was apologetic and said, "I promise new cars next year". Did I receive any dscounted rate for my trouble and for his failure to maintain his cars? Nope, and I chose not to get into a verbal war - not my nature - nor was it worth making the day that much worse. ALSO, and this was important in my mind's eye, I knew that I was going to be Arnell's worst advertisement via this forum once I got home.

In a nutshell, AAA made 4 days of my vacation troublesome - Arnall has lost my business. For those of you who have had great experiences with AAA - per your recommendations - tell me what was good because I can't tell you anything good - except for Didi and Myra - they did the best they could and seemed embarrassed about their cars.

I lost, Arnell won - but I hope this note encourages you to go elsewhere for your car. I'm off my soap box. Grover

Posted by: kim (---.dhcp.nwtn.ct.charter.com)
Date: December 22, 2011 10:15PM

And thats why we always use kennys car rental. So many rentals and never a problem like that! Hope the rest of your trip was a good one.

Posted by: ANON (12.9.88.---)
Date: December 23, 2011 09:31AM

yEAH. Mr. Arnell made me a lot of promises to that he and his company didn't keep. Everything I wanted to hear along with good prices. Almost to good to be true. And then I used him and then I knew why. I should of gone with Mr. Leslie to but I know now for the future.

Posted by: tom2 (65.55.67.---)
Date: December 23, 2011 10:19AM

so sorry that you had the problems that you did. i returned from sxm december 14th and had nothing but great experiences with arnell and myra. i have done business with them for about 15 years and never run into any of those problems. i am sure these things can happen, dont doubt that the truth is being told, and can be assurred that these things might happen at any company. i do think an adjustment should have been made.

Posted by: pat (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 23, 2011 03:46PM

Grover,

I hope your time at the Towers was enjoyable - I think you arrived the day we left and you departed the day my daughter arrived.

Anyhow, I'm sorry you had issues with your car rental. We, also, rented from this same company many years ago and had the same issues with the question of getting the car at the airport. I had three emails where I asked and he responded that yes, we would be picking up our car AT THE AIRPORT and that we wouldn't have to go elsewhere to get it. Needless to say, when we got there that wasn't the case and when I questioned him on it after the fact, he suggested I misunderstood him, right up to the point, on one of these forums, where I offered to scan and post my emails to him and his responses to me and then I received a private message apologizing. We had no major issues with our car and I'm one who would prefer a beater to a pristine and perfect car for island driving, but like you, had there been a safety issue I would not have been happy. And quite truthfully, I would have been equally unhappy to have to keep wasting my vacation time trading cars.

After that trip we rediscovered Lesley Bruce of Kennys Car Rentals and he's been our rental agency of choice ever since. I know he's not the least expensive agency, nor is he the most expensive and I understand he's got to make a profit, too. I make my reservation and get his quote and then he meets us at the airport upon arrival, we agree on how much gas is in the car and do the paperwork and we're off. He doesn't beat us up over dings and he knows we will make every attempt to take reasonable care of his car. He's been fair with his pricing and provides us with exactly what we ask for every time. But the very best thing about this company is that when, God forbid, you have a real problem on the island, he's there to make it right, fast. And Lord knows, he's more than gone out of his way for many of his clients when they've had issues or problems of one sort or another or needed help with problems that arose or their plans had to change because of family emergencies.

I know many people here have this same type of relationship with the company you used but sadly, like you, we aren't among them. And I read somewhere a long, long, time ago that every agency (of whatever nature) is great as long as things are going well, but it's when there are problems that you get to see the full measure of how they do business.

Anything new at The Towers?

Merry Christmas.

Respectfully,

pat

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2011 07:45PM by pat.

Posted by: janice (65.55.67.---)
Date: December 23, 2011 09:35PM

pat
i think arnie arnell is the best. i have never had a bad experience with him. think that this is one of a kind experience that could happen with anyone including leslie bruce.

Posted by: lilla (65.55.67.---)
Date: December 23, 2011 09:46PM

grover
are you trying to defuse aaa. they are a very repuptable company. you asked the quesion and then answered it negatively. he is, and esp myra very accomodating. and by the way, if the car is not at the airport, their office is just around the corner near sunset beach bar.

Date: December 23, 2011 11:30PM

Are you serious? You're telling me where the AAA office is? A joke right? Take another look at my post - I was there 5 times - should've been zero/NONE - pick-up and delivery in the airport parking lot was the deal, guaranted, remember?

Lilla - FYI, you're coming across as a "plant" for Arnell - Nice try !

YES - I'm trying to "diffuse" AAA - if "diffuse" means I would like to see him lose clientele, thus $$, by following my advice. My horrendous experience with AAA is now shared. Any more Arnell shills out there? Lilla has had her turn - I/we certainly expect to hear from a few more.

Again, not my nature to engage in verbal battles - but a blatant cover up attempt does get me angry. Done. Sincerely, Grover

Posted by: ziggy (65.55.67.---)
Date: December 24, 2011 11:10AM

grover please calm down before you have a heart attack.FYI maybe you are the shill not this lilla that you mention. i too have had many many many good experiences with alain arnell

Posted by: ROGER (65.55.67.---)
Date: December 24, 2011 07:09PM

I HAVE USED ARNIE FOR TEN YEARS NOW AND NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. VERY CORDIAL AND BUSINESSLIKE.PRICES ARE THE BEST ALWAYS DOES WHAT HE SAYS.

Posted by: kim (---.dhcp.nwtn.ct.charter.com)
Date: December 24, 2011 07:16PM

Roger. Why are ypu yelling? Grover hAd a bad experience, it happens. I can handle the car issues, but it would really make me angry if i was told i would get my car at the airport only to be taken offsite, no matter how close. Does AAA normally ever do airport delivery of the car?

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Go to: •Message ListSearchLog In
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |