The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Long Bay beach access
Posted by: RichNH (---.caribserve.net)
Date: August 14, 2011 08:41PM

Hi all, my wife and I are currently staying on St. Martin in Guana Bay. Today we tried to visit the beach at Long Bay. We were coming from Marigot, driving down Rue de Sandy Gound and then Rue des Terress Basses and had it all worked out, but when we turned into Rue Baie Longue which has a parking area on it about mid beach were were quickly stopped by a fancy gate which prevented access. A sign said the Rue Baie Longue was a private road.

So, what gives? Is there a way I can get to the parking area on Rue Baie Longue by car?

Thanks in advance. We are leaving on Wednesday.

Rich

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Long Bay beach access
Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: August 15, 2011 07:03AM

what time was that? the gate is supposed to be open from 6am to 6pm normally! was there a security guard ?

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Date: August 15, 2011 08:57AM

Sunday, around noon, 1PM the latest.

Date: August 15, 2011 09:01AM

I would add that there were two cars in front of us. We never really made it to the gate, both cars were stopped, their backup lights were on so I simply stopped short of that, maybe 20 meters from the gate, backed up and got back on the road. The two cars that were in front of me both had French side license plates on their cars and went towards Marigot, the way we had come from. We were planning on possibly going back to that area this AM to go to Plum beach today as I thought I saw a sign for that.

Date: August 15, 2011 09:26AM

and the gate was closed you said at noon? or it was open but the sign was saying "private road"?..

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: August 15, 2011 11:06AM

that shouldn't be should it Philippe? access to all beaches has to be provided somewhere.

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Date: August 15, 2011 06:31PM

Well... Long Bay road is a private road.. matter of fact. The whole Low Land Peninsula is a private property and a gated community, but public access is normally allowed between 6am and 6pm... I was implementing that may be the "Fancy Gate" have a sign "Private Property - Do not Trespass" was open but the two first (tourist) car stopped and turn around thinking they would be prosecute is they continued their way in. See what I mean... the gate was open but people didn't dare to proceed thinking they would infringe on private property!

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Date: August 15, 2011 07:35PM

We went there today. The gate is closed but is electronicly opened. I don't know how. Both when we went in and when we left there was another car that opened the gate. Once in we drove down and found the parking lot. I think there was a sign that said access to public beach. I think that if you drive up to the gate there is a way to talk to someone and have them open it. don't know, as I said, we skirted through both on entry and exit when someone else caused the gate to "open saysame".

I will say that I LOVE that beach. Very, very nice. Private and the snorkeling was great. Finally checked off one of my wants for this trip which was to see Blue Headed Wrasse. There were people on the beach, but it is so long that with a little bit of exercise we had an entire section to ourselves. It was perfect!

Thank you Philippe for entering your note, it caused me to try again and it turned out OK. The alternate plan was to try the Rue Rosseau. Didn't have to do that though.

Date: August 16, 2011 01:44PM

I think during the day, the gate is closed (to limit and dissuade people to attempt to enter) but have an automated opening system like my gate have... when a car approach slowly between 6am and 6pm for this gate, (mine only have an automatic opening system on the way out, not the way in) it will automatically open. During the night, to enter, you need an access code or the security guard is operating it

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |