The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Guana Bay
Posted by: RichNH (---.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com)
Date: March 27, 2011 08:29PM

Hello all, I'm a new member here. My wife and I aren't travelers, in fact we are going on our first real flyaway vacation next August to a villa that is right next to Guana Bay beach. She was looking for a beach that is fairly private and we think this is from what I have read. I was curious if anyone can offer advice of any kind to a couple of people celebrating 30 years together, aren't nightbirds or party goers, like the outdoors and beaches and who will have their passports stamped for the first time.

Some of the things I am interested in are snorkeling, hiking, naturist sunbathing and swimming (though she won't like being in the presence of others) and general sightseeing (walking along the tourist streets).

Thanks in advance.

Rich

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guana Bay
Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: March 28, 2011 07:57AM

Guana Bay is known for being pretty rough and some sort of dangerous for swimming... 21 years on the island and never went to swim there, too many other safe beaches for it. On the other hand, it is difficult in my opinion to find a real secluded beach to swim not being in presence of others... for that (and thanks you like to hike) you will need to go to little key and Grande Caye on the French side, pass Cul de sac and the dump. You may also like Happy Bay, which is a beach accessible "almost" only by hike over a hill. But some day it maybe a bit busy. Otherwise, you always can walk along Baie Rouge and swim by the end of it.. nobody's there.

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: ANON (---.muf122.nycm.n54ny05r18.dsl.att.net)
Date: March 28, 2011 09:06AM

Rich,
This is probably about the least safe beach for swimmers on the island that I know of. Strong surf and surg all the time-surfers not unusual to see at this beach. It will serve the purpose of being isolated but not so sure thats such a good thing. I wouldnt let my wife swim there no matter how good it matched the rest of my wishes.
ANON

Posted by: Zebulon (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2011 07:43AM

I boogie board there more than once on every trip to the island.

Posted by: RichNH (---.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com)
Date: April 03, 2011 08:53PM

thumbs up Thank you all for the feedback. We will be careful of the surf (how high are the waves, I'm used to 4-6' waves as normal on southern L.I. NY.). We are planning on visiting other beaches. If the trip turns out to be good we may very well fit it in every other year.

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |