The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Airport parking and departure taxes
Posted by: Mathieu (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: February 16, 2011 12:46PM

Hi All,

I am considering doing a day trip to Saba in April. I'm planning to fly over, both for the experience of the 15 minute flight and landing, and to maximize my time on the island since its only for a day. I will likely have been on SXM for a couple of days by then with a rental car and so plan to drive myself to the airport. My questions are :

1. Where can one park one's car at the airport for the day ?
Is there any free parking, or if paid parking how much is it ?

2. Is there a departure tax leaving SXM to Saba, and/or a similar tax when leaving Saba for the return flight ?

Thanks,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Airport parking and departure taxes
Posted by: pat (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 16, 2011 07:41PM

Mathieu,

To the very best of my knowledge there is NO free parking at the airport. Depending on where you're staying on the island it may even be less expensive to take a taxi than to park there.

I can't recall if we paid any departure fee to go to Saba but I'm thinking not. Perhaps something about going from one Dutch island to another? But it was a few years ago now so anything's possible.

I hope you enjoy Saba as much as we did - it was so clean and perfect and the air actually felt crisper over there. Oh, to be there now.

Respectfully,

pat

Re: Airport parking and departure taxes
Posted by: Mathieu (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: February 16, 2011 10:11PM

Thanks Pat.
I'm really looking forward to going to both islands. I've been going to SXM since 1985 when I first backpacked there with a buddy just after graduating Uni, and weeks before starting our new jobs. Travelled back often until 2000 after which other destinations in Europe, Africa, Asia and South America hit the list. I've kept in touch with island news but am now very much looking forward to returning in April.

After reading your response it occurred to me to check the airport website and I found out there that theres a USD 10.00 departure tax to Saba which is included in the return ticket price if I fly on Winair, which I most likely will. FYI, for short haul flights the tax is $10.00, for international flights its $30.00 and most but not all airlines include it in the ticket price so you don't have to pay it at the little booth. They give you a list of those airlines that do.

I also found out that there are 220 parking spaces at the airport and the charge is $1.00 per half hour. There was no mention of a flat daily or maximum rate. If I'm gone 10 hours, I'd pay $20.00 for parking. I seem to recall there being a parking garage at Maho. If they have a cheaper flat rate for the day, I certainly don't mind parking there and walking the short distance to the airport and back.

So my revised question now is : Does anyone know if either the airport or the Maho parking garage has a flat daily rate for parking ?
(I'll do a web search in the meanwhile.)

Thanks again.

M

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |