The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 123456789Next
Current Page: 1 of 9
Things will get worse before they get better........sad smiley
Posted by: contessa (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 06, 2008 08:10AM

I fear that things will get worse before they get better......sad to say!
A friend who's been renting a particular villa in April for 5 yrs. asked me if I'd be interested in sharing the villa because the other 2 couples they've rented with for the past several years aren't returning. I told her I wasn't interested because I don't think we'll be doing 'ladies vacation' in SXM, next year. This morning she wrote me and said everyone else she offered this villa to weren't returning to SXM until things looked better. That's sad. It will be a very difficult time for tourism in the future. For every person who's returning, there are several that aren't.......not good!thumbs down

smileys with beer Contessa

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Things will get worse before they get better........sad smiley
Posted by: MichaelD (24.222.195.---)
Date: August 06, 2008 08:17AM

True so very True

I have decided not to go in November. I am keeping a careful watch on what happens over the next 6 months, before I decide on April.

The government really has to get a grip on this situation. Everything I am reading shows no indication that they actually have a solution in place.

They can give all the lip service to the media but they have to actually do something.

In the meantime I will wait to see if there is a turn for the better.

My thoughts

Posted by: tblade (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 06, 2008 01:01PM

my wife and i are also not returning in 2009. we have gone to sxm every year since 1998. there is not enuff law enforcement on both sides. i'm syill astounded that they were so concerned about nudiy on OB - with crime or the threat of it being ignored. i figure it costs me 3 to 4k everytime we go - it will not cost me nearly as much next year.

btw - we stayed at oyster pond - because it is on the border - it will become more of a problem. it is an ideal place for the criminals and their friends.

Posted by: ANON (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: August 06, 2008 02:27PM

tHIS IS A decision every traveller has to make for themselves but I wonder if you posted this question on another forum what the reaction there would of been.

Posted by: BobP (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 06, 2008 02:58PM

We'll be returning Nov/Dec again as usual.We have our Feb trip set unless we are robbed or attacked during our first trip.The last 3 yrs we've been victims of the crimewave that's over taken SXM.Credit card fraud, car parts stolen and car breakin but no physical violence yet.IMO, its just a matter of time before everyone becomes a victim of the crimewave.We're taking more day trips from SXM to other islands to avoid the crime problem.I agree the crime probably will get a lot worse because the GOV'S & Police don't seem to want outside help.

sad smileyRe: Things will get worse before they get better........sad smiley
Posted by: contessa (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 06, 2008 03:18PM

Ok, Anon.....I just posted it on TTOL to see what the reaction is there! Stand back.....this could get ugly!grinning smiley

smileys with beer Contessa

Posted by: .Bruce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 06, 2008 03:58PM

i doubt we will be going back anytime soon...

Posted by: Pajo (---.home.cgocable.net)
Date: August 06, 2008 04:19PM

Contessa: I just looked on TTOL and didn't see your message did it get censored?

Posted by: Elaine (---.p1.ragingwire.net)
Date: August 06, 2008 04:38PM

No it didn't.

Biting my tongue.

Posted by: seamusoisin (---.home.cgocable.net)
Date: August 06, 2008 05:00PM

Pajo people talk and so far holding.

I had the right to remain silent...but I didn't.

[burlingtonscwt.wordpress.com]

Re: sad smileyRe: Things will get worse before they get better........sad smiley
Posted by: Tabba Khady (---.48.78.208.dyn-ip.domaccess.com)
Date: August 06, 2008 07:21PM

contessa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ok, Anon.....I just posted it on TTOL to see what
> the reaction is there! Stand back.....this could
> get ugly!grinning smiley
>
> smileys with beer Contessa
-------------------------------------------------------

..... eye rolling smileysmoking smiley

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2008 08:16PM by Tabba Khady.

Posted by: WOW (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: August 06, 2008 07:32PM

Sounds like there may be some good deals on villas/rooms on SXM in the future with all the people deciding to cancel their trips.winking smiley

Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 06, 2008 08:17PM

Rick and I will continue to go until we find that we cannot remove ourselves from our resort during the daytime. Night time is never a problem for us because we usually stay within Maho. In fact my nephew and his wife will be going in September and we are very excited for them. For us, nighttime is party time since there are so many people hustling and bustling. It is not desolate and things do not quiet down from morning to night. Afternoons can be somewhat reserved and quiet but not enough to produce a desolate feeling.

Yes, I agree that the incident with Bruce and Kim hit home but 1) we don't rent villa's and 2) we stay on the Dutch side which is more populated which in this case is a major plus for many reasons, including the odds. The Dutch side also has so many more things within walking distance and very short driving distance with well lit roads in most major areas like Simpson and Maho for night driving.

My Observation: It seems that many more people that prefer the French side are making the decision to not go... Is this because the French side maybe offers too much peace and quiet? Is it the Euro combined with the safety reason? And I am not trying to be a wiseguy either... smiling smiley I just want to know why there is such an extreme.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Re: sad smileyRe: Things will get worse before they get better........sad smiley
Posted by: GaKaye (---.rcmdva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 06, 2008 08:21PM

We stay on the Dutch side, but spend most of our days on the French side (Orient), and generally dine in Grand Case or Marigot. Recently we have tried more Dutch side restaurants, but find the cost isn't much different for the quality of food we like. That said, we do feel safe at our timeshare and on the streets in and around Simpson Bay. We won't change our plans based on the recent happenings.

Posted by: cuznvin (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 06, 2008 08:26PM

I dont plan on going in 2009.........

Pages: 123456789Next
Current Page: 1 of 9

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |