The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
monthly cost of living on St. Martin
Posted by: Monika (---.brig.cable.ntl.com)
Date: June 08, 2008 05:47AM

One more question.

How much do you spend monthly while living on St. Martin? I know I would be paying a lot in terms of rent (if I move over there) but how much do I need for bills, food, car maintenance and fuel, creams, etc..? We are a family with one child (she is almost four). how much a private school for her might costs (websites of these schools do not offer info on their fees)?

I am trying to budget our removal and first month of living, before we get paid for the first month.

We are not luxury people, but we like nice wine and good food.

And how much books and CDs cost there? They cost an absolute fortune in Kenya..

Again I will be grateful for info.

M.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: monthly cost of living on St. Martin
Date: June 09, 2008 08:03AM

No costs at all or they are so high that it is better not to mention?

M.

Posted by: Tabba Khady (---.60-57.caribserve.net)
Date: June 09, 2008 08:21AM

Hi Monika,
oh no don't worry there are cost, just that they are all relative to each individual needs. Overall, because everything is being imported, the result is that everything is expensive... Except the product who are usually sensitive to taxation in other countries, like alcohol and cigarette. Basically anything bad for your health is cheap and everything good is expensive LOL!
It's also depend if you are going to receive salaries in Euro, or in US $...
I don't know about Kenya, even though I did lived in Africa too, but here books (novels) are about $10 each at Gd Marche Supermarket, and music CD's are about $20 each. Gas is about $5 a gallon (maybe cheapper in some gas station on the French side where they will take $1 = 1 euro, but they do not all do that...). Food is relative... a bottle of wine is in average between $5.5 and $12 depends what you like, and that's about basic wine. You can find way more expensive if you want. Food depends like the rest on your tastes and your needs. If I compare with my sister who also live here with her family, she is spending much more money than I do on a monthly base, because I beleive her taste are a bit more "extravagant" than mine. I am sure that if you come to visit for a week or so before coming to live permanently, you will have a chance to visit supermarket and books store and make up your own judgement based on your personal tastes and needs.
Like I said

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Monika (---.easynet.co.uk)
Date: June 09, 2008 08:40AM

Hello.

Both of our salaries will be in euros as we have an official right to work on the French side only. At the moment we are paid in British pounds and we spent around 2 500 of those a month (including rent, but without clothes or medication).

What is really good in UK is the number of second hand shops where you can get a book or a CD for something like 50 pens!! And I am a book maniac while my husband is addicted to music.

We do not owe a car here as the public transport is good and we live in a center so we walk a lot so this does not come into our monthly spending.

So is something like 3000 euros enough for a month (rent, food and bills)?
How do you think?

M.

Posted by: Tabba Khady (---.60-57.caribserve.net)
Date: June 09, 2008 08:57AM

Like I said, everything depends on each person 's needs. Being paid in Euro is an advantage then if you want to shop on the Dutch side, because your euro will be worth 50% more for the value. rent can go from 1000 Euro and up (1000 Euro, you may not have much of a house if it is not in desfiscalisation like I explained you before). Water utility is expensive on the French side and you will have to learn how to be conservative, and not let the water runing non stop while you are taking a shower (or while your husband shaves...) Sounds weird but it's true. No spring here, desalinasation water plan, and it expensive. electric isn't cheap either, and it's all depends on how you use the air conditioner (avoid central air conditioned houses or units, they will ruin you!!!). Will you look for a job while sejourning here? The island is not so small but people can get bored very easy if not working, even though beaches are beautiful, everything is pretty much done for 15 days tourists stay, so after a while you may turn in circle.

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Date: June 09, 2008 10:09AM

Hello.

We are both going to work from the very beginning so no holiday-like time for us, I am afraid. School for the child will need to be found and implemented within a week, ..

I will probably wait for some free time with trepidation...

I did not work in Africa but I was always able to find something to do anyway, I am just a self-entertaining person, I guess.

Just started to wonder about one thing. If it is as humid that the veneer peels off furniture then what happens to books? I have a fairly proper collection and I would hate to see them rot. Is it safe for my books in St. Martin?

M.

Posted by: Tabba Khady (---.49.78.208.dyn-ip.domaccess.com)
Date: June 09, 2008 10:48AM

Humid? In my opinion it is not humid. The island is always ventilated with the trades wind, or at least most of the year. you do have some humidity but not to the extand to destroy books or whatsoever. I don't recall to see "veneer" or plywood peeling because of humidity. I have a lot of book, some of them very precious emotionally to me, my partner is a teacher and does have a huge collection of books, everybody have books here, and I never heard any problem neither witness anything regarding of book destruction or damage due to humidity. I beleive your books are safe here.
Barbara, what do you think?

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Date: June 09, 2008 10:57AM

Hello.

Thank you a lot one more time.

I feel better now as I love my books a lot and I would prefer not to move than see them damaged.

See you in couple of weeks then..

M.

PS. If there is anything else I should know before coming, please let me know. I am checking this forum on daily basis. Have a good time.

M.

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: June 09, 2008 10:58AM

Well, it is humid, but we do live on a more arid island than some and we certainly are not in a rain forest by any means.
I too have a large collection of books and I have never had any problem with damage with them.

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: Tabba Khady (---.49.78.208.dyn-ip.domaccess.com)
Date: June 09, 2008 11:23AM

Get some suntan lotion ready !...grinning smileywinking smileycool smiley

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: KealaSxm (---.55-175.caribserve.net)
Date: June 09, 2008 01:31PM

Re books - the supermarkets tend to have mainly the latest US bestsellers - there is nothing like the bookshops in the UK. A lot of residents order books and cds in from Amazon or an online service like that. The public library on the Dutch side is really very good for an island this size - I have always found plenty to read there & every so often they have a second hand book sale.

As Philippe mentioned, watch out for airconditioning - that bumps electric bills way up. Some houses have water cisterns as well as mains water which certainly helps with water bills and is a boon in hurricane season if there is a storm and water is switched off.

All the best
Keala

Date: June 09, 2008 01:34PM

Hello.

That will need to be a lot of it! As I am from a country where a winter reigns for good half a year so I have a very white skin and turn a bright red in the sun (lobster, anybody?), and then peel off. Beautiful view, indeed.
So sunscreens, creams, hats and sunglasses always travel with me. And the other members of the family.

M.

Re: Pets
Posted by: Pam (65.124.110.---)
Date: August 12, 2008 10:35AM

Are you allowed to bring your pets into the country? If so what would the process be and vet care on the island? Thanks in advance.

Pam

Posted by: John (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 12, 2008 12:40PM

Pam, you are definitely allowed to bring your pet to the island. You should bring a vet's certificate stating that the pet has had all necessary vaccinations. When leaving the island, I am somewhat confused if you need to have a vet on the island, once again, examine the pet but I would assume that it depends on the time lapse between arrival and departure and not really necessary if for a short time like 1 or 2 weeks. If you will remain on the island, there are many wonderful vets and I believe that Philippe could recommend one or two.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: August 12, 2008 04:52PM

It is easy to bring our dog here. Just a recent vet certificate saying your pet is healthy, had had vaccinations, and is rabies free.
going back into the USA, you also need a vet certificate saying the smae thing.. I think if you are only staying a week, you do not have to get a new vet certificate from here but any longer and a vet here has to see the animal. there are many goodt vets on the island.. a few on the Dutch side and a few on the french side.
I know Phillipe has his favorite and I have mine, which is not P's favorite :-)
but lots of choices are possible.

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Pages: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Go to: •Message ListSearchLog In
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |