gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 123456789Next
Current Page: 1 of 9
La Belle Creole
Posted by: RonH (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 23, 2008 05:59PM

Does anyone recall when La Belle Creole closed there were several containers
which contained new furniture in order to renovate the rooms, not sure how many.
The containers were eventually broken into, and the rumor or joke was, that every house in St Martin had a piece of La Belle Creole furniture in it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: La Belle Creole
Posted by: ConradMon (---.client.stsn.net)
Date: May 23, 2008 06:29PM

You're talking about which time??
1970's or 1980's
It opened at one point as a Club Med for a short time.
Hilton got involved in 1985, the general contractor "Gemtel Ltd." went bankrupt in 1986 and the hotel opened at last as La Belle Creole, A Conrad Hotel in March of 1988.

Paribas Bank of Paris sold the Hotel just prior to Hurricane Luis in 1995. Conrad had a management contract.

Posted by: gert (Moderator)
Date: May 23, 2008 07:48PM

Here is a nice aerial picture of La Belle Creole. We used to have them on our website. It was a nice resort. I don't see the jail on this picture smiling smiley

Posted by: sxmmmartini (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 23, 2008 08:17PM

In 1977 a fund raising event took place at La Belle Creole, everyone had a good time for a very good cause...
The Making of an Island by Jean Glasscock writes about many events and happenings on SXM. It is one of my favorite books...

Posted by: WayneB (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: May 23, 2008 10:17PM

Hey Gert... or anyone for who can answer my question,

From the website of La Belle Creole, it states: "La Belle Créole, on the French side of St.Martin, comprises the 25-acre tip of a secluded peninsula. Views are out to sea toward Anguilla and St. Barths or across Marigot Bay to picturesque Marigot and the island's backbone of mountains.

From the location, could there really be a spot where there were views of both Auguilla and St. Barths? Are they not opposite directions, and from what I recall, Le Belle looked more toward Anguilla, but could St. Barths really be seen from there?

La Belle Creole site

Thanks...

Date: May 23, 2008 10:30PM

It sounds impossible. I often lose track of direction well on an island. But Anguilla is pretty long. Check out this Google Map and you will see that indeed on some spots you can see both Anguilla and St.Barts.

The middle island in St.Maarten/St.Martin, the long 'eel like' is Anguilla (hence the name), and the one on the bottom St.Barts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2008 10:32PM by gert.

Date: May 23, 2008 10:43PM

Thanks Gert, but... from La Belle's location on Nettle Bay, from the Google map, it still does not look like you can see St. Barths! Do you agree, or am I not looking at things properly??

Date: May 23, 2008 10:52PM

I think you are right. Maybe when you stand on top of the pink tower you can see St.Barts? smiling smiley

Here a zoomed in Google Map

Date: May 23, 2008 11:02PM

LOL! That must be it, the pink tower view!!

Thanks.

Posted by: Tabba Khady (---.54-160.caribserve.net)
Date: May 24, 2008 09:01AM

IMO it's absolutly impossible to see st Barth from La belle Creole... They must have mistaken with Saba !

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Bobp (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 24, 2008 05:59PM

We stayed at Le Belle Creole many times during the early 90's.IMO, It closed when the hurrician destroyed the property.The only good thing I recall about the hotel was the breakfast buffet.We stayed there because LaHabitation wasn't open during Sept. when we took short trips before our winter season vacations.

Posted by: Bob Cleveland (---.dhcp.leds.al.charter.com)
Date: July 04, 2008 08:41PM

I walked over to the old La Belle Creole about 4 years ago and took a bunch of photo. Sad, sad, sight.

You cannot see St. Barth's from there, but there's a reasonable view of Anguilla, albeit rather far away.

Posted by: Bob Cleveland (---.dhcp.leds.al.charter.com)
Date: July 04, 2008 08:43PM

And no, you cannot see Saba either. It's due South of SXM.

Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 05, 2008 07:25AM

I just don't understand why such beautiful property (looking at that aerial) would have not been snatched up by one of the current developers? The property is already built upon and it looks like it may have been a very romantic setting at one time with the stone walkways and such. It even has a pretty beach too...Unless the reason is because it's on the French side and the taxes and restrictions would make it unfavorable.

Any ideas as to why it just sits there like Mullet Beach (but not obvious because of it's location)?

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2008 11:09AM by John.

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: July 05, 2008 10:00AM

Hmm
that would seem to be something for Philippe to answer, I guess.

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Pages: 123456789Next
Current Page: 1 of 9

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |