The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

assessment's other impact?
Posted by: sunny (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 23, 2006 10:14PM

am i correct in that management has changed hands at the atrium because new managers have acquired more leases? or by buying said leases from prior management.

do time share owners acquire representation and a voice when the inventory is 80% sold out?
if so shouldn't said t.s.owners legally have input as to decisions affecting them? especially decissions that may drive down the price of their units when the values fall.

assuming 80% of inventory is sold out,do not the owners have the right to protect their monetary investment buy alerting the management co.as to detremental and possible illegal decissions that may effect them.

in other words to my way of thinking. a resort which is 80% sold out should give you due representation. if not you are kept in the dark and are deprived of legal input.
managers take a liberty by inacting an "assessment". a right is lost by their action.
some people would opt to sell their units because it is not tenable for them to hold on.
where would the buyers come from. who would buy with a 200% assessment. the 80% drop in t.s.lease ownership would deminish your voice. it could give management carte blanche to continue unchecked.inventory could swell and be used for hotel or future sales or trade consideration. they win,we lose.

s.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: assessment's other impact?
Posted by: SXMaholic (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 24, 2006 05:43AM

Peerhaps in the USA....remember this is St Maarten. Their laws are somewhat different than ours and it seems the TSer has NO rights in these matters.

Posted by: sunny (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 24, 2006 11:21AM

being an experienced travelor and comming to the island each and every year for thirty years i am very familiar with the goings on in sint maarten.

my famiy and i have been very fortunate to have made friends who are business people on the island.

their are also people in my county, some are pols & attornies, who have established businesses on the island.
their laws may be in fact be "different" and i am sure that they will be tested.
however i will let my attornies deal with that
and my rights as a lease holder.

bear in mind that sint maarten is very cosmopolitan.

not only do americans own time shares, (and their are tens of thousands of them.) but so do dutch, french, english and other europeans who do also.
don't you think that these individuals will look to protect their rights?

isn't it strange that the st.marten government doesn't protect the T.S.owners rights.
you would think that they would be protecting the tourists from being prey.

after all they are the life blood of their economy.

where would they be without times share, airport departure and other taxes?
where woud they be without the millions of tourists dollars?

isn't it time for them to step up and earn their timeshare tax and defend the
tax-ees.

Posted by: wendyk (---.albyny.adelphia.net)
Date: October 24, 2006 04:44PM

Absolutely. But look at all the environmental, building, & traffic issues currently affecting the Dutch side. I don't think the current government is too interested in much more than lining their pockets, unfortunately.

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |