- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
New Terminal
Posted by: Laura (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: October 21, 2006 10:28AM

Hi to all! We just returned home yesterday via USAirways and were among the lucky folks to be first to use the new terminal. It was a big surprise and a very special event. We were actually delivered to the old terminal by our Avis shuttle. From there we were bused to the new terminal for check-in and departure. There is still much work to be done before the official opening, and we were walking through some construction areas, but what a great building that is!!! For those who were making bets, I believe that an AA jet was the first to land at the facility (at least that's what our USAirways crew told us). Very few of the shops/restaurants were open, but nice, new, pristine restrooms were available and the airport folks even served free refreshments! All in all it was a great ending to a wonderful vacation in SXM!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Terminal
Posted by: LennynRose (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: October 21, 2006 12:13PM

Thanks for the update.

Does the new terminal have a lounge like the old terminal(upstairs with a twenty dollar entry fee) ?

Thanks in advance

Lenny

Date: October 21, 2006 02:33PM

Really, the building is not sufficiently completed to determine exactly what it going to be available in the future without asking, which we did not do. Figured the staff had enough to deal with around there without adding to it. To all of those with concerns about how the turnover is going to impact their trip, I would say you will find it to be a very positive change. Even on this first day, everything went smoothly and we were very comfortable in the new surroundings. Since the new building closely resembles that in Aruba I was very much in hopes that when it is completed, we can clear customs right there, the way it is done in Aruba. However, I heard from another traveler, who professed to know, that this will not be the case. Even so, there's definitely no reason to complain. This is a vast improvement over the old facility. I'm grateful for it, and I'm sure everyone else who has experienced the "charm" of the old terminal will be as well.

Posted by: Allen (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 22, 2006 02:23PM

Hi Laura ..

Were we on the same flight friday, that left at 3:40 pm. I had to change

in San Juan for Newark. This past week I was at the Alamanda. The new terminal

is really nice. The cab driver that brought me there said that official opening

day is scheduled for Nov. 11th. ( Saint Martins day ). Just wanted to add my

2 cents.

Allen

Posted by: OH (12.16.111.---)
Date: October 23, 2006 06:37AM

Allan, you were actually on the first jet to fly from the new terminal - on American Airlines. Laura was on the second - on US Air.

In any case - hopefully too much on the charm of the island isn't lost with the new terminal. However it was a nice surprise for us too (being on the USAir flight.)

Posted by: brouhaha2 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 23, 2006 10:27AM

Are they doing US Customs clearance at the SXM airport yet? AND are they letting you bring back booze in checked luggage?

Posted by: OH (12.16.111.---)
Date: October 23, 2006 11:08AM

No, customs was not done in SXM - but the potential is there. Can't say anything about the booze tho.

Laura,

I wished I'd waited until we got the the gate for the potty run. I asked in the check in area where the restrooms were. I took off in their guessed direction. I then asked someone in that area - the person laughed. I was then pointed in the other direction - I found the ladie's room with 4 men still working it in. I asked if there was a problem with me using the men's room. There wasn't - so I did - I just told the guys - don't peek.

Date: October 23, 2006 11:47AM

Wow, you really did have a new and different departure experience! You're right about USAirways being second to arrive and second to depart. So, Allen, we weren't on the same flight, but we were probably in the terminal at the same time. Wish I had known you and OH were there...would like to have met my fellow posters! Before leaving for our trip to SXM, I had been monitoring this board as well as TTOL for clues as to whether we might go through the new terminal, but I never was able to find out anything. Boy, were we surprised!! A while back someone (I think it was on this board) suggested having a contest to guess what day, what airline, and what first drink would be served. The best one I thought was December 25, the sleigh, milk and cookies. I'm still getting a good laugh from that!!

Posted by: tom (---.msn.com)
Date: October 23, 2006 12:57PM

laura was the departure tax included in your ticket on us air?

Posted by: Elaine (---.p1.ragingwire.net)
Date: October 23, 2006 01:12PM

Yes - departure tax is included on USAir tickets - unless you bought and paid for them about 1 1/2 years ago!

It was my guess on the sleigh, milk and cookies. And even tho I lost the bet, it sure was fun!

Date: October 23, 2006 02:45PM

Tom, I got my tickets with FF miles and the departure tax was paid in advance. We have flown to SXM via USAirways for the last 11 years, and last year was the first and this year the second time we didn't have to pay as we left the island. I like it lots better this way! Now, if we could clear customs at the terminal, it would really be fantastic!

Elaine....I love your sense of humor.....it would be great to meet you some time!

Posted by: tom (---.msn.com)
Date: October 23, 2006 05:40PM

i was there in april and i paid the departure tax and was on us air. do you think i paid it twice,. how do you know if tax is paid

Date: October 23, 2006 06:52PM

Tom, For many years, I have used FF miles for travel to SXM.Both this year and last year, when making my reservations, I was required to submit considerably more for taxes than in previous years. ($57.30 per ticket this time) That led me to believe that the departure tax was prepaid. Also, in earlier years following checkin, the agent would always direct me to another window to pay the departure tax, which did not happen this year or last. In any case, USAirways may not have the same policies in effect at all departure cities. Hopefully, there are controls in place to keep you from paying twice.

Posted by: Elaine (---.p1.ragingwire.net)
Date: October 24, 2006 08:41AM

It all depends on when you BOUGHT the ticket, not when you flew. USAir started including the departure fee in their tickets ABOUT a year or less ago. Can't remember when.

Posted by: WWII (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 24, 2006 02:13PM

It was included on my US Air tickets which were purchased a year ago for last March's vacation.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |