The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Trip Report
Posted by: mocahantas (---.cesengineers.com)
Date: September 19, 2006 04:10PM

Hello All! this forum was very helpful to me in researching my trip so I wanted to let you know how it turned out. We were there 9/3-9/10 2006 and stayed at the Sunterra Flamingo Resort, a trade through RCI.

We rented a '06 corolla from Lesley Bruce for $125 for the week. He picked us up from the airport and we were on our way. After a hot and long wait for our luggage I was happy to have someone pick us up. The new terminal looks great and should be ready soon, everyone gives different dates. We checked into the Flamingo and received a view of construction and the parking lot. The hotel is under construction but it isn't obtrusive. The room was renovated and was beautiful and clean but the view wouldn't do.

After a wine and cheese welcome at the Flamingo, we went to dinner at the Boatyard Restaurant across the street. The mahi mahi was delicious. I tend to travel at off peak times to take advantage of less crowds and better service and that is what we got.

The next day, Monday, we switched to an ocean view room that was not renovated but had a great view. The room smelled of mold although we didn't see any mold. I bleached the place and it turned out ok. We hung out at the hotel all day and then took a sunset cruise set up by the activities desk at the hotel. It was only $10 and turned out to be a booze cruise!

Tuesday we took the ferry to St. Barth's which was breathtaking. We rented a Smart car and drove all over the island, stopping at all the beaches we could find.

Wednesday we went hiking at Lotterie farms and then to the Sunset Beach Bar. It turned out to be more exciting than was described, I loved it. Dinner was skipjack's, the grouper was delicious.

Thursday we took the ferry to Anguilla and then a cab to Shoal Bay. There was about 10 people on the whole beach, we rented chairs and an umbrella and drank Carib's all day, what more could anyone ask for?

Friday we shopped on the french side and then hung out at the resort. We had dinner at Rare, the best steaks I had ever had and I am from Washington DC, the home of politicians dining at expensive steakhouses. Better than Charlie Palmers, better than Ruth's Chris. It was expensive, about $180 for 2 (glasses of wine not a bottle) but well worth it. I cannot reccommend it enough.

Saturday we went to Orient Bay and had lunch at Waikiki, divine. I felt as if I was in St Tropez with the frenchness of it all. French speaking, french food, topless women, water with gas, cigarettes. So Paris.

We then had to switch rooms as we were told when we switched the first time. They moved us to a room with a view of the ocean and pool and this room didn't smell as bad but the linens did. Gross. The linens in the closet were fresh so we used those.

Sunday was our last day, we went back to the Sunset Beach Bar and watched football until our flight.

It was a great trip, we got to see three islands in one vacation. We did not experience any theft or rudeness. We spent each afternoon decompressing from whatever we did that day at the Flamingo's pool for their 2 for 1 happy hour. I like good quality food, of which there was plenty to choose from. I love exploring and we were able to drive and see every square inch of the island. As for the hotel, i wished they had a fitness center, we used the one at the sister resort, the Royal Palm, and I would have preffered more selections at the restaurant. Not enough to ruin our stay.

I have been all around the world and this was truly a trip to remember.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trip Report
Posted by: Ed (nine510) (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 20, 2006 06:23PM

An ambitious schedule, and your research seems to have paid off rather well. I think most people don't get to St. Barts or Anguilla/Shoal Bay until sometime after a few trips.

I'm guessing, from spending time exploring the island that you saw a few spots that you'd like better than the Flamingo for the next trip.

Ed

Posted by: mcinnamon (---.dsl.ipltin.ameritech.net)
Date: September 21, 2006 12:33PM

Very nice report. Ed's right, you did pack alot into your first SXM trip. Glad you had a great vacation and thanks for the report.

mc

Posted by: rickscott (---.rcc.org)
Date: September 23, 2006 04:29AM

Thanks for the report. Seems like you did your share of exploring. I'm hoping to make the trip to Shoal Bay this year.

Posted by: mocahantas (---.cesengineers.com)
Date: September 26, 2006 12:14PM

You are correct. If I return I would like to stay in Orient Bay.

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |