The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

roadside grills
Posted by: leandra (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 12, 2006 11:51PM

there is a lot of talk about how GREAT and authentic the food is at roadside grills on the island. I have passsed many, but am too scared to stop for fear that I will get sick because they are not very sanitary looking! Can you all tell me which ones you would recommend and have eaten at with good luck? I would love to grab a great meal on the go and eat it at our villa. We like Chicken, rice, ribs, etc...all that great simple islnad food!!

thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: roadside grills
Posted by: SXMaholic (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 13, 2006 05:41AM

Basically any one of the Lolo's at the beaches are a sure bet for good food. Haven't heard any complaints about food poisoning, etc. I would stay away from the smaller ones that set up along the roadways ...the here today, gone tomorrow ones.

Posted by: Dr Doug (---.unh.edu)
Date: September 13, 2006 06:06AM

Leandra,

Some of my best meals and conversations have been had at places most tourists drive by. Be brave and explore. If there are non-tourist looking folks there, I stop and order what they are eating, then if I like it I often go back and try other items.

For a very "safe and clean" place, try Hilma's in the Simpson Bay area. It's a tan trailor near a bank just after the runway as you head into the SB area.

Have fun.

Posted by: Elaine (---.p1.ragingwire.net)
Date: September 13, 2006 08:19AM

LOVE Hilma's. We finally stopped there in August, and once discovered, I went back three times!

Posted by: BnR (12.38.196.---)
Date: September 13, 2006 11:28AM

We agree with Dr. Doug and Elaine:

Hilma's - with her million-dollar smile, but also Lido in Cole Bay where many locals pick up dinners to go. When the locals frequent a place, you know it's got to be good ... and safe. You can't go wrong at either place.

BnR

Posted by: leandra (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 13, 2006 11:34PM

thank you, I will try Hilmas and Lidos. I would NEVER have stopped at a "trailor" for food, but with so many great things said about them, I will!!! (I'll just have to try and talk my hubby into eating the food!!). Any more suggestions??

Posted by: rickscott (---.rcc.org)
Date: September 14, 2006 05:31AM

Leandra, Although I know many love the place, we found Talk of the Town to be a place we would not return too. This is very gross but a few years ago, the cook also fixed a stopped up toilet while we were there....

Posted by: _bruce (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: September 14, 2006 07:55PM

I always stop a few times each trip at Johnny Under The Tree in Cole Bay, just north of the Tee up the hill, where the lights used to be.

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |