The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

concerns
Posted by: funnybunny921 (216.132.144.---)
Date: September 08, 2006 03:36PM

we are planning our first trip to St. Maarten and I have read on different forums a not of negative things about car rental break ins, but i have also read a car is a must for the island. Do you have any suggestions about the rental... we booked trough AAA so i am guessing it is a major rental company (hertz i think). I am just worried about all the petty crime i keep reading about. We aren't planning on taking our watches, computer, necklaces/earings, etc... but it seems that i am often reading about hotel or car break ins.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: concerns
Posted by: rickscott (---.cinci.res.rr.com)
Date: September 08, 2006 05:05PM

funnybunny, Yeah, there are car breakins and the smartest thing to do is leave nothing in the car. I try to even leave the trunk empty as if they get inside the car, they are basically inside the trunk with a flip of a switch. I still feel safe there and it is a poor country so just like if you are in the good ole USA in a poor inner city neighborhood, you would likely not leave stuff in your car. Common sense is the best deterrent. I rented from AAA before and was not thrilled with them although others like them. The 2 that I hear most folks rent from are Kenny's (Leslie Bruce will meet you at the airport with the car) all of the others require you to ride with them to their place of business and sign all your paperwork before being on your way. ( bruce@sintmaarten.net ) or try Unity Car Rental. Both are good people and are well respected. We have been 3x and are going again in January and have never been victims of any crime. We think the people are very nice and of course the beaches and restaurants are great. You'll have a great time.

Options: ReplyQuote

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |