The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Good service??
Posted by: lilos (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 05, 2006 10:47PM

Can anyone reccommend a restaurant with great prices, great food and
GOOD (I'm just asking for good here!!)service??
We don't need super fancy as we will be travling with 2 kids. Ribs, Chicken, clean, no bugs, hair or flies please.
Thanks!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Good service??
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 06, 2006 08:42PM

Yikes...a very open ended question because everyone has their favorites. Highly recommend going back thru the archives of this site and reading up on the plethora of opinions on food and restaurants. Our favorite "restaurant" is in our 7th floor room at the Towers on Wednesday night...that morning we're early to the Marigot market where we pick a couple of freshly caught fish and have them cleaned and fileted by the local gentlemen along the pier...purchase a bottle of white wine...and 2 fresh baguettes from a local pattisserie (sp?). I grill the fish in a wine + butter sauce and we're good for the night. Great service not just "good". The romance is awesome. No kids but I'd tune them into the VCR with a good movie as we'd enjoy the view from the balcony.

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: September 06, 2006 08:51PM

well, I think most of the restaurants on the island give good service. St. Maarten is very sophisticated when it comes to its restaurants.

If you want good food and good service, I suggest Pineapple Pete's in Simpson Bay.
It's a fun place to dine..open air..friendly staff who are excellent..and very good food.

Posted by: GaKaye (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: September 06, 2006 09:04PM

Spike,

Please tell me more about purchasing fresh fish in Marigot! I'm a reasonably good home chef, and am excited about cooking in our condo at LaVista. Exactly where do you get your fish? At the market, or do you get it from a particular fisherman?

Posted by: lilos (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 06, 2006 10:03PM

Spike, great idea, we are staying in a Villa so we can cook and BBQ there. Will try the fish but can you tell me where exactly you buy it and from whom?

We have had some bad experiences on the island (IE: Peg legs and Lee's) We waited forever for our food and when it did come, it was the wrong order and it was cold).

Posted by: annie (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 07, 2006 08:52AM

Barbara1...I agree with you about Pineapple Pete's! One of our favorite places on the island.

Annie

Date: September 07, 2006 09:14PM

The fish is brought in from the boats very early in the morning. If you've been to Marigot then you've seen the "open air" market place where vendors set up their own kiosks and sell everything from jewelry and spices to Mah-doo-doo (sp?) rum. If you haven't been there...just park and head for the water (north) side of town...the bizarre can't be missed. At the westernmost part of the market place are "hardened" (permanent) kiosks where the fishermen sell their fresh catch. You'll find multiple varieties of fish all sitting in tiled "showcases" in a lump...most still alive and kicking...begging for the b-b-q. They often have parrot fish...right off the reef...seems sad but they have great flavor. The gentlemen who cleane/filet your choice sit along the wall with the appropriate tools, a stool and usually a small table to chop on. Really nice folks and anxious to help. Why is my mouth watering...I just had supper?

Date: September 07, 2006 09:28PM

Thanks Spike! I know exactly where you're talking about. How early is "very early"?

Posted by: Sambo (---.scansafe.net)
Date: September 08, 2006 08:29AM

Following on from the original post I was wondering if anyone could possibly help. My Girlfriend and I are visiting the island shortly for a 2 week holiday next week - during which time it will be our anniversary (25th September......I think!!!) Is there anywhere particularly special we can eat out ? Any reccomendations for good day trips as well would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Posted by: Frankie (---.metrocast.net)
Date: September 08, 2006 11:30AM

Barbara1. Would you be so kind as to list the phone number for Pineapple Pete's so we could make reservations now for Christmas Week? Many Thanks..F

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: September 08, 2006 12:31PM

Pineapple Pete's
544-6030

Posted by: frankie (---.metrocast.net)
Date: September 08, 2006 12:42PM

Thank you Barbara...You are the best..

Date: September 08, 2006 09:18PM

8 NLT 9 AM.

Date: September 08, 2006 09:30PM

For a really special meal, I would recommend, in this order:

La Vie en Rose, Marigot
Spiga, Grand Case
Le Pressoir, Grand Case

Each of these is a very special restauran that we visit at least once each time we go to St. Martin.

Enjoy!

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |