The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

CUSTOMS
Posted by: SHARONA (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 01, 2006 05:27PM

I'll be on Island for a week in Nov. We have a direct flight home to JFK. Do we clear customs in St. Martin or in NY?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CUSTOMS
Posted by: M (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 01, 2006 06:09PM

NY, you always clear customs on your first point of entry in the U.S.

Posted by: GraciesMemory (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: September 06, 2006 03:09PM

Actually, in Aruba, you do clear customs right at the airport before boarding the plane to come back home; however, that was still not the case when we were last in St. Martin. The new airport in SXM looks very much like the one in Aruba and I am in hopes that it too will be equipped to handle the Customs thing onsite. It is so much nicer to have it over and done with before you leave and not have to worry about missing connections while waiting to go through Customs once you reach the U.S.!

Posted by: kim (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 06, 2006 04:59PM

You also clear customs in the Bahamas before you board your plan, Iam hoping you do do this also in the new airport.

Posted by: GaKaye (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: September 06, 2006 08:40PM

Well, that never occured to me, but it sure would be great! Wouldn't have to worry about how much time you had between connections in the US!

Posted by: Clark (---.arc9.atlnga1.dasdial.com)
Date: September 07, 2006 10:48AM

I'm a little confused on this one-- at least about saving time--as I recall the last time I was in Aruba (1997 I think) I cleared customs at the Aruba airport---- however in San Juan- I still had to go through Immigration--then get my checked luggage- and then exit through the customs line to get my checked luggage transferred to the plane for Hartford---I don't think I saved any time at all---again- as I recall--the only difference was that my declaration card had been stamped in Aruba---but the customs agent in San Juan still had to collect it---now there may have been a separate line for those who had cleared customs in Aruba-- but I don't remember it----the major time consuming addition in San Juan is that- now- after getting your checked luggage on the conveyor you now have to go through carry-on screening before getting into the concourse where the gates are----and that additional screening can make connections rather tight-depending on your departure time---last May we departed SXM at 2:08 PM with arrival in SJU at 3:10 and our flight for BDL left at 5:48---so in our case (flying AA) we had plenty of time--Clark

Posted by: Lolo (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 07, 2006 11:06AM

I have some doubts as to whether DHS would give over security of U.S. borders to foreign nationals unless a U.S. Customs agent was doing the checking in that departure country. If a security problem arose upon entry, the outcry would be enormous.

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |