The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Lobster advice!!
Posted by: ojlob (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 20, 2006 11:30AM

Where is the BEST place, on the island, to get GREAT lobster for an excellent price?? Don't really want to pay $100 per lobster as we like to eat it almost everynight that we are on the island!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lobster advice!!
Posted by: killian (---.dhcp.mant.nc.charter.com)
Date: July 20, 2006 11:49AM

I would save my money, and wait until i got home and had a good Maine lobster!
I have never enjoyed the lobster in SXM-very over rated. It is usually grilled, and can be very dry, and it also is lacking the sweet claws of the cold water variety.
Just my opinion, but I'd spring for something different.

Posted by: Wendy (---.albyny.adelphia.net)
Date: July 20, 2006 01:44PM

I actuallly agree with the above poster that Maine lobster is superior to Caribbean, but for plentiful lobster in SXM, go to the Mini Club in Marigot for their buffet Wed & Sat nights. The lobster [all you can eat] is served cold and is split for easy eating. I've also seen them heat it for people who have requested this. I think the cost of the buffet is still 40 euros, and it includes bottled water, red, white, & rose wine and LOTS of other things including a fabulous spicy conch stew and fluffy light quiche.

Posted by: John (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 20, 2006 03:10PM

There is a dish called Lobster Therimdor (stuffed lobster) and can be found at 2 places that I know of that people have raved about when dining there:

Pineapple Pete's and Laguna - both in Simpson Bay

Posted by: Neil Rooney (Moderator)
Date: July 20, 2006 05:19PM

Local Lobster,

Lee's Place

Uncle Harry's

Bajatzu

Pineapple Pete's

Turtle Pier

And MORE

Just Another Ho Hum Day On D Planet

Posted by: ojlob (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 20, 2006 06:35PM

YUMMMM...I'm salivating just thinking about it! Thanks for the tips...the Mini club sounds good...can kids go there too? Also will try it at Pineapple Pete's (never have been there before).

Posted by: BarbJ (---.35-65.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 20, 2006 07:35PM

Those who live where Maine lobster is both plentiful and relatively inexpensive always prefer it to the Caribbean/spiny lobster. I lived in Chicago all my life till 3 years ago and the Maine lobster there, in the fish market and supermarket tanks, was almost $30 a pound. No one bought them. Eventually, some of those lobster tanks disappeared from the stores. I always looked forward to our St. Maarten trips for lobster that I could afford. The Mini Club in Marigot has a buffet on Wed. and Saturdays with lobster (cold), soups, salads, fish, maybe duck, pork and beef along with desserts, their "bottomless carafe" of wine, a bottle of water, gratuities, for 40e per person. It's always a highlight of my vacation in St. Maarten.

Posted by: spike (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 20, 2006 10:50PM

Lobster Buffet at Captain Oliver's...every Saturday night. $35 American for all the Lobster you care to eat. Great atmosphere and awesome seafood and the dessert table of French baked "stuff" is my wife's hang-out !!!

Posted by: contessa (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 21, 2006 11:11AM

I highly recommend the Mini Club. It's very reasonable and it's a quality buffet. Children are welcome of course, unless they misbehave. They don't want the 'look' from the owner. Even I don't misbehave, there.
Besides lobster there's duck, roast beef, roast pork, roast pig, chicken, approx.
6 different salads, side dishes and lots of dessert. All for $45.00 p.p. Don't know if they have a children's price. I've seen parents with children take a Ziplock for what the children don't eat and bring it home for the next day.
The server's name is Ivan and he was formerly with Portofino in Grand Case. Tell him you want extra lobster and he'll bring it to the table. Can't hurt to give him a tip, on the side.
I hope this helps!
:-) Contessa

Posted by: Charles (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 21, 2006 11:26AM

Live Maine Lobster had been $6.99 a pound at Albertsons in St. Pete area until last fall, haven't paid any attention lately. But then you have to boil it yourself and listen to them scream......

Posted by: BarbJ (---.35-65.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 25, 2006 09:15PM

Charles Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Live Maine Lobster had been $6.99 a pound at
> Albertsons in St. Pete area until last fall,
> haven't paid any attention lately. But then you
> have to boil it yourself and listen to them
> scream......

Albertson's in Port Richey, FL, has had lobster for about that price and a couple dollars more, from time to time, and they advertise that they will steam it for you free of charge. Some day I may just take them up on that offer.

Posted by: shell (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 17, 2008 03:28PM

The best place we found for lobster was on Pinel Island. We spent the day basking in the sun and had a late lunch and a wonderful moist lobster. Nothing beats carribean lobster.The Karibuni beach bar restaurant is the the place to go.

Posted by: RonH (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 17, 2008 04:47PM

John, I agree with you on your locations. But, Laguna shut it's door earlier this year. It was primarily due to the health of one of the owners, who are brothers.

Posted by: pat (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 17, 2008 06:35PM

This thread was actually started in '06 so that may be the reason for some of the information being just a tad dated, specifically Laguna - which, while we wish the former owners well, many of us considered this to be a very major island loss to that particular area.

Regarding the original lobster question, if you want really great lobster thermidor, IMHO, the best I've found on the island, bar none - can be found almost any night at Antoines on Front St. There are lots of other places that serve it but I've yet to find any that compared to that of Antoines. PP's and Hideaway are two others that are good but just not in the class of Antoines, IMHO. And the really good news, if you call ahead and make reservations, they will usually do valet parking for you.

Grilled lobster - as some have already stated, the Caribbean lobster is nothing like a Maine lobster (or better yet a Newfoundland or NS lobster straight from the trap....) but that doesn't mean it's not quite the treat when prepared well. Personally, we've come to regard the grilled lobster at Lee's to be the best we've found on the island - well grilled and basted perfectly in a delicious garlic butter basting sauce - OMG, I'm salivating at the thought. I've tried a lot of the other places and so far, none have come close to what we consider the best of the best. But a word of warning, to those who don't care for garlic butter, you might not want to order this treat at Lee's. The only negative is that it's not as inexpensive as some of the other places we've tried but it does generally come within $2-3. per pound of most other locations and in the over all scheme of things, to us it's more than worth the few extra dollars. So far we've not had better on the island than at Lee's.

Respectfully,

pat
smiling smileysmiling smiley

Posted by: riccardo (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: July 17, 2008 08:58PM

My favorite for grilled lobster is Boo Boo Jams, with Lees, and Uncle Harry's a close second. Hideaway and Turtle Pier both have great thermidor. Is Mini Club still open?

Riccardo

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Go to: •Message ListSearchLog In
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |