- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Sapphire Beach Club SXM - Maintenance Issues
Posted by: Dapuck (206.113.148.---)
Date: July 12, 2006 05:29PM

Ok- after reading all your informative emails, I am scared as hell to go to this resort. My wife and I are going to the "resort" 7-15 / 7-22-2006. Maybe as an outsider (friends of ours gave us their week) I can shed some light about what is going on or try to obtain the help of some of the people there to figure why the place is in such disaray. I know this may not be possible. I have been trying to confirm my trip with their reservation people for 3 days now, and each day the front desk tells me to call tomorrow at 10....11....12. I will get back with you all with my findings when I return, wish me luck...

Puck

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: WWII (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 12, 2006 05:43PM

I think you will have a nice vacation, regardless. Good luck!

Posted by: SXMaholic (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 12, 2006 06:35PM

IF you are using your friends unit make sure you have a letter from them and make sure they also faxed one to Sapphire, that you are using their unit, etc. My niece left to go to SXM a day ahead of the rest of us (but within our Sat-Sat) and they refused her our unit and she ended up having to go to Maho for the night and an added expense until we arrived.

Posted by: JJC (---.vkarrigoni.org)
Date: July 14, 2006 09:55AM

I too was scared to go to Sapphire when I went in June because of the negative reports. That being said I ended up enjoying my stay. It is not anything like a 4 or 5 star resort but you should enjoy your stay as well.

Posted by: Kay (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 27, 2006 01:49AM

I wish I would have known this info before I booked my trip. I will be there in Sept, in a studio .I exchanged with RCI. The price was dirt cheep. I'm going alone and was hoping to relax on the resort.Iwill try to make the best of it and will keep yall posted. Does anyone have suggestions on sights to see or tours to take. I'm an adventurist; I like to do just about everything.

Kay

Posted by: JJOK (209.60.41.---)
Date: July 27, 2006 11:56AM

Kay,
We're in the same boat. Arriving on 9.2. Keep your fingers crossed!

Posted by: killian (---.dhcp.mant.nc.charter.com)
Date: July 27, 2006 12:29PM

I stayed at Sapphire 2 years ago, and there were issues then, too. The management/maintenance was very slow to respond, and was not always very friendly. It took 36 hours for someone to open my safe. This was not acceptable to me, and I feel someone coming to the room with a key could be done quicker than that. The other issues were for the most part minor, and did not really impact my stay. If you can "pick you battles" with management/maintenance, and roll with some minor things that may not be perfect, I think you'll have a great time. You will probably find that you do not spend too much time there, as there is so much to do on the island. Don't worry, and have a great trip. As I said, the majority of the issues are small, and should not spoil any vacation.

I do, however, understand the dis-satisfaction from some of the owners, as your perspective when you have a financial investment in something is different. Not that things shouldn't be good for anyone-exchange or owner-but the perspective is different when you come back year after year, and see a place going downhill, or things still not repaired from the previous visit. I used to own at Pelican, and saw this happen there, too.

Posted by: dean (---.dsl.ksc2mo.swbell.net)
Date: July 27, 2006 12:46PM

I would say, as a previous owner at pelican and a present owner at Sapphire, there has never been a special assessment at Sapphire in the 10 years that I've owned there. They have not resorted to"creative" ways to raise money, like charging a utility charge on check out. I think that the maintenance fee at Sapphire is a reasonable charge. It doesn't excuse some of the maintenance issues at t he resort but it makes them easier to accept.

Posted by: Richard (---.dsl.sfldmi.ameritech.net)
Date: August 02, 2006 04:41PM

We bought our week (49) back before the first tower was even started, so we've been along for the entire ride. We've had our share of maintenance issues, such as leaking pipes, mildew, broken appliances, stolen safe (yes, they took the whole thing right out of the wall).

The advice above to tip the maids in advance works well for us too! And, I make a habit of slipping the maintenance guy a $20 as soon as I see him upon arrival. I probably shouldn't have to do it with the dues I've paid through the years, but it helps tremendously. My list of check-in items for attention is usually handled the first day, even replacing TV's, etc.

The thing I hate worst is the condition of the hot tubs (a buying point for us too) and the way they have plumbed them all to a common system, with no local control of water level or temperature. Sometimes it's almost empty and full of gross looking water, other times it's overflowing! I woke up one night and thought it was really pouring outside...it was the sound of the water overflowing the hot tub and hitting the balconies below. The water is never more than lukewarm at best.

I've been told by management that story about painting and replacing furniture, new fabric, etc., for 3 years now. I know Phillipe fairly well, and he's usually unaccessable these days I'm sorry to say. Back several years ago, the generator wouldn't start, and power was going to be off on the island for the better part of a day. The restaurant was going to lose a lot of food, not to mention no AC or elevators in the entire resort. I work for a major electrical OEM, and have a EE, so I volunteered to have a look at the generator. The repairman for the unit was on Statia, and wouldn't be around for 2 days...so Phillipe and his Dad were frantic! I got it running quickly as it was a minor problem with the transfer switch. Phillipe sent us to the old Maison sur le Port in Marigot for dinner on him, and we took full advantage with champaign and the works. My long winded point here is that at that time, I was still very proud of where I owned a week, and felt like my time fixing the generator was like fixing something at home. It's kind of like watching someone or something close to you fade away.

This was once the finest timeshare on the island IMHO, now I'm ashamed to take guests there. The restaurant is now first rate however, with Grand Case quality food right in the resort.

Here's to hoping they get it turned around soon...I'm feeling a little used by the fact that you can get a week at the Sapphire with Airfare often on Skyauction.com for little more than I pay a year for maintenance.

Posted by: funnybunny921 (216.132.144.---)
Date: September 08, 2006 04:13PM

all of these messages have me worried. my aunt is giving us her points to stay here over christmas this year (rci exchange i think) and i thought since it was a "wyndham" it would be kept up. it sounds like you are paying for a 3 star hotel and getting the red roof inn... is that the case?

I am not bothered by little things and i always tip the house keeping on these trips, but bad beds no lights and luke warm water sound like more than inconvieneces.

I am already worried we'll have problems since my aunt isn't coming with us... i guess all i can do is pray that things turn out ok and that our chrismas is enjoyable

Posted by: SXMaholic (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 09, 2006 07:34AM

Funnybunny.....don't worry. The resort isn't as bad as it sounds. We own 2 wks at Sapphire in Dec. One is a Villa and the other is a Superior 1 bedroom in bldg 3. We've really haven't had any major problems and the ones we did have were corrected quickly. The grounds were maintained and our rooms were well maintained. The on site restaurant is A+.

Posted by: McGoo (12.154.169.---)
Date: September 28, 2006 04:59PM

I have traded my RCI timeshare for Thanksgiving week at Sapphire. I will be staying in Unit #11. I am told Unit #11 is a 1-BR on the first floor of Building 1 (would this have a decent view?). Is there anyone who can tell me what to expect? All these comments have me worried. Anyone been there recently? Any improvements? I was looking forward to the Jacuzzi on the terrace, are they truely as bad as some of these comments imply? I would appreciate any reply.

Posted by: bob martin (---.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com)
Date: October 03, 2006 05:49PM

I saw your comments and could not agree more....I just received a supplemental maintanence bill for 2400.00 telling me if I did not pay up by oct. 15th that my units are subject to forclosure. The financials that were included clearly state that Price Waterhouse did not use GAAP (generally accepted accounting principles) but instead prepared these staements according to the instructions from sapphire. BUYER BEWARE....... place is the most unethical business I have ever seen.

Re: Sapphire Beach Club SXM - accessment
Posted by: Louise (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: October 04, 2006 06:22AM

Have you all received your notice of accessment due October 15th? How are you feeling about it? I own two weeks, and this is a large amount of money to fork over in such a short notice. Is everyone just going to pay up? I have owned my weeks for 15 years, and not feeling very good about this issue. Any thoughts?

Re: Sapphire Beach Club SXM - accessment
Posted by: Bob Martin (---.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com)
Date: October 04, 2006 10:45AM

I have spoken to other owners and we are not going to pay it. The financials are "cooked" and if these people ever pulled this type of nonsense here (U.S.A.) they would be criminally prosecuted for fraud.

Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Go to: •Message ListSearchLog In
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |