gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: I need help with island customs
Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: September 04, 2006 03:21PM

James
Here is a johnny cake recipe takaen from the offical St. Maarten Tourist Office site:

Johnny Cakes - A Local Favorite

Johnny Cakes is a national tradition and are eaten with almost any type of food. These traditional treats can be either baked or fried. Our recipe covers the fried version of this local Caribbean treasure.

You will need the following ingredients:

1 lb. flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 2 teaspoons salt, 1/4 teaspoon white sugar, 1 cup vegetable oil, and warm water.

Combine the flour, baking power, salt and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Then add enough warm water to make a stiff dough.

Knead the dough well, until it is smooth and all lumps have disappeared. Place the dough on a floured board and allow standing for at least 20-3- minutes.

Heat oil in a frying pan and drop small flattened and rolled out portions of the dough into the hot oil. Remember to poke the dough with a form after rolling it out. (the rolls should be the size of a small hamburger patty).

Fry these until golden brown then remove, drain and server HOT.

Goes great with cheeses, butter, cream cheese, jelly and lots of other items.

former resident.. yes, fungi is like polenta.... many countries have similar dishes .. with many variations depending on the culture....
my husband likes his fungi with okra in it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: former resident (---.InternetCafe.com.mt)
Date: September 05, 2006 01:14PM

And I like it fried topped with Taleggio cheese daer mrs Cann.......r

Posted by: foody (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 10, 2006 12:24AM

Barbara, can you tell me where the best (clean, safe, fresh) roadside stands (that you buy tose $6 plates of food) would be? We are always scared to stop and buy food at the road stands because we think that they may be dirty. We would like to get some authentic cooking, though. Some times we get tired of eating resturant food. We like rib and chicken plates.
thanks!

Date: September 10, 2006 08:40AM

well, my favorite is the place at Lido in Cole Bay.
I buy chicken and rib dishes from them all the time when I am too lazy to cook. They are very cheap and very good.
There also is a good place in Simpson Bay right on the corner by the RBTT Bank building.
She is not open all the time but she has good food. Wilma I think her name is. Anthony Bourdain the famous chef featured her in one of his cooking shows.

I also have stopped at the Suriname truck that is on the Pondfill, opposite where the old Rima store used to be. They are good too.
Actually I think most of the food trucks are ok. I have never heard anyone getting sick from any of them.
But I always take a look first just to see how it looks and if there are a lot of flies around. :-)

and if you want some good local cooking in a restaurant, go to Yvette's Restaurant in Orleans. Have you ever been there?
It is a cute little place with very good local food.
we love it there!
It's closed on Wednesday nights I think.

Posted by: Elaine (---.p1.ragingwire.net)
Date: September 11, 2006 08:53AM

Hilma's Windsor Castle is the place next to the RBBT Bank. I'm addicted to her saltfish and johnny cakes! Hilma has a GREAT smile!

Date: September 11, 2006 09:06AM

Hilma! that's her name! right!

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |