- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: I need help with island customs
Posted by: Joe (216.152.172.---)
Date: September 23, 2003 09:35PM

well.. I guess I dropped the ball on that last answer of mine. Nice save Barbara

I figured as an island with no freshwater source, there were few large indiginus animals and the chicken and ribs at all the lolas was brought in the last 50-100 years..

I guess I'll make a bigger attempt to get into the culture. (and find Johny cakes..)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Barbara (---.202-68.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: September 24, 2003 08:32AM

I enjoyed reading the responses...especially Barbara's. As for someone who said you don't get your restaurant check until you ask for it, that's not just the French. That's a European custom. A young Dutch waitress (on the Dutch side of St. Maarten) once told us that it's considered rude to bring the check...that it's saying "we want you out of here". She said she was shocked when she visited the U.S. and that happened to her in a restaurant here. Several times I've seen people here complain that it took a long time to get their bill. People need to know this custom.

Posted by: Barbara1 (64.124.106.---)
Date: September 24, 2003 10:28AM

Be careful
check out this web site for information on genips and a picture
I am sure you have seen them in the Marigot market
[www.micaminito.com]
as it says in the article, schoolchildren love them
they typically climb trees on their way home from school to get a bunch LOL

Posted by: Jerry (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 24, 2003 10:53PM

Hi Barbara1
Checked link for Jhonny cakes that you put up. How about "fungi"spelling? Would like to wipe up a batch

Date: September 25, 2003 10:09AM

Jerry
there a lot of different ways to make fungi. It's funny..each island has a little different variation on the same theme
here is a recipe from Puerto Rico
[www.elboricua.com]
in SXM, I don't tihnk they use milk. in Tobago they use coconut milk which can give a great flavor.
you also can put some okra in it. MY husband loves it that way.
he cooks his fungi without milk. he adds a littlel butter or oil to the water with seasoning.
the basic premise is to boil the water (with or without the milk.)
you have to add the cornmeal very slowly so it doesn't lump, stirirng all the time. some people dissolve the cornmeal first in alitle cold water so it more easily can be mixed without lumping
try it either way and see how well you do
then cook it all over a medium heat stirring all the time... for best results use a wooden spoon.
it should be done when it has thickened and is starting to separate from the sides of the pot
then you cover the pot, turn off the heat, and let it steam for maybe 10 minutes.
play around with it and see how it turns out

I think after you finish doing all this caribbean coking, you should give us a :"food report" here! :-)
ok?

Posted by: Ga. Peach (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 25, 2003 10:25AM

Basically, it's polenta. Right?

Posted by: Lori (170.118.158.---)
Date: September 25, 2003 01:06PM

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!! MY SON PRESENTED A GREAT REPORT AND THE CLASS LOVED IT!!!

HOPEFULLY I'LL BUMP INTO SOME OF YOU WHEN I AM ON THE ISLAND NEXT APRIL.

THANKS AGAIN!!!!

Posted by: Annie (---.frtprk01.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 25, 2003 01:38PM

Barbara1...someone told me that Fungi was what the Grill & Ribs used to serve along with Johnny cakes. Do you know if that is correct?

Thx.
Annie

Posted by: Jerry (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 25, 2003 03:47PM

Annie To answer,that's where I found the fungi at the St.Maarten Grill & Rib Co. that WAS a great place(s)

Date: September 25, 2003 05:19PM

Ga Peach
it's not quite the same as polenta but is simialr..both from corn meal..same as grits..
all variations on a similar theme

Lori, I am so glad your son had a good report.
I would love to read it. could you post it or scan it and email it to me?

Annie. I totally forgot what grill and ribs used to serve, but, as Jerry, says that's where he found it. I really don''t remember that.

Date: September 25, 2003 05:34PM

by the way, if you guys want some really good local foood while on the island ( and he probably serves fungi too)
go to Enoch's in Marigot.
he is the restaurant on the corner of the Marigot market ( the corner towards the water)
he has great food and it is where all the locals love to go
it's a real simple casual local place.. usuallly open for breakfast and lunch..dinner too I think but I'm not sure of the schedule. I know some of those restaurants there do not always open at night if it is not busy
so check his schedule first

SXM Customs
Posted by: Elvina (---.trentn01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 31, 2005 03:38PM

As a native to the island of St. Martin I'd have to say that Barbara1 is the closest as far as our food is concerned...Thanks for representing winking smiley...Although we're "islanders" we're not cave ppl...our table manners are the same as anyone elses. I am proud to be from a tiny island , the ppl are very close knit and take it literal "it takes a village to raise a child" LOL...I get sorta homesick just reading about the food here...I try to keep up with my native cooking but being in America it's hard sometimes to find the same ingredients so we tend to make do with what's around us...Anyway if anyone has a questions on the customs or anything about the island don't hesitate to ask...Although I'm young (over 20 under 30 LOL) i'd be happy to answer any question anyone might have...

Thanks for visiting our "Friendly Island"

P.S. We say "Goodmorning" to everyone because that's how we were raised (to have manners and be polite to everyone you come in contact with) because you never know when you might need that person for something or vice-versa...Try it sometimes it's healthy, I think America would be better if it was practiced here.

Posted by: James A. Hazel (---.bflony.adelphia.net)
Date: September 03, 2006 09:40PM

My folks are from Statia and Saba and they would make fried Johnny Cakes and bake Johnny Cakes in the oven. Dose anyone know how they are made???

Posted by: GaKaye (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: September 04, 2006 10:07AM

This is a pretty old thread, but I for one and glad it was resurrected! We've only been to St. Martin twice so far, and have really enjoyed the French restaurants, but have not ventured at all into the local culture. We'll be going for at least two weeks each year from now on, and I'll be interested to try the local cuisine. Thank you Barbara, for taking the time to write such a detailed explanation!

Posted by: Former Esident (---.InternetCafe.com.mt)
Date: September 04, 2006 10:29AM

Barbara1, you could say that fungi is polenta, of course in Italy they add so many things to it: chesees, sausages, quails, and so on.

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |