The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

TRIP REPORT - Jan28-Feb15, 2012 Part 3(last)
Posted by: SXMNorm (---.dsl.stl2mo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 27, 2012 08:12PM

Trip Report Jan28-Feb15, 2012 part 3 (last)

Desserts
-

Carousel(3) – Located on Welfare Rd, to the Airport side of Three Palms and Pineapple Pete's. A real treat. [i216.photobucket.com] Making the final selection is not always easy. If you stop, please say hello to my friend, Security Guard Abraham. Don't know how the man does it. All that delicious fat stuff and he keeps a flat belly.

Activities, Side Trip, Surprise, and Randon Thoughts.

Since we were entertaining my brother Bob for our first week, we tried to include a sample of things to do on SXM besides lay in the sun and eat.

Butterfly Farm –
Located on Rue de Coconut Grove
We've visited here before, but it's a lovely, fascinating place. Try to go early when it opens for best butterfly activity. Also they'll note on the back of your ticket when you came so you can revisit the Farm anytime during your stay at no additional cost. [i216.photobucket.com]
[i216.photobucket.com]
[i216.photobucket.com]

Harmony Night
-
We visited Harmony Night twice this trip. Once with Brother Bob, the second time with friends Tom and Judy.
[i216.photobucket.com]
[i216.photobucket.com]
The second night they had a mini float of a pirate ship. [i216.photobucket.com]
[i216.photobucket.com]
[i216.photobucket.com]

Sunday Evening Lagoon Cruise
What better way to see SXM than from Neil's Lagoon Cruise. Went on this twice also.
[i216.photobucket.com]
[i216.photobucket.com]
The second trip was a little more eventful however.
Just about the time we reached the turnaound point at the far end of the Lagoon, we were stopped and boarded by the French Harbor Patrol [i216.photobucket.com]
After about 30 minutes of just drifting and several closed door “conferences between, Neil and the Sargent. We were informed that Neil did not have the proper papers. The Celine was escourted to the closest dock that could handle the forty some people, The Mecure Hotel in Sandy Ground. Giving great credit to Neil, he had immediately call for a tour bus to pick us all up and transport us back to Skipjacks. Come to find out a day or two later, This episode was probably “payback” for the Dutch side stopping French boats the day or so earlier and checking papers. Our friend Judy shot this pic as we waited for the tour bus. [i216.photobucket.com] This was actually the front fence at Mecure, but it's kind of how we all felt.

La Bamba Beach Bar

One of my favorite stops in SXM is La Bamba Beach Bar on Welfare Rd across from Skipjacks. Bob and the Category 5 band plays there every Sunday evening, 8-11pm. Great classic Rock and Roll and a few other pieces thrown in. [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com]

Bernadine's

Always try to stop at least once to make a donation and /or buy some MaDoDo and help Bernadine take care of her animals. She's located in the Paradise View shopping section and offers a colorful view of Orient Beach area. [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com]

America's Cup Race
– Located out of Bobby's Marina between Chesterfields and the Greenhouse.
One of the unique attractions of SXM is the 12 meter America's cup Race. A real Captain, two real crew, and a bunch of never been on water to some experienced sailors fill in the boat.
Great fun. Well worth the $79. Bob and Tom, both for the first time and me, fourth trip. Everyone gets a job, instructions, and a little practice, then the real race. Ran through a rain shower at the start of race, but, you're not dressed for church anyway. [i216.photobucket.com] Our yacht, with Captain Ernie won. My third win, to go with a second in a three boat race. [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com]
[i216.photobucket.com]
[i216.photobucket.com]
[i216.photobucket.com]

Art in the Park
Emilio Wilson Park, Second Sunday of February.
A great collection of SXM artists. This year we were most impressed by Ruby Bute's new additions. Several of her paintings have been transferred to ceramic tiles and fired with a high gloss. Some have been incorporated into end tables with a set of four tiles. [i216.photobucket.com]
If you don't want to lug back an end table contact www.MyIsland Art.com .

Sightseeing Around SXM

The Radisson Blu area
[i216.photobucket.com]

The Wind Surfers of Baie de l'Embouchure [i216.photobucket.com]
The Bridge to Port d'Plaissant Condos and Zee Best - [i216.photobucket.com]

A mega yacht
that wouldn't fit into Simpson Bay Lagoon - [i216.photobucket.com]

Wine at Beau Beau's [i216.photobucket.com]

Rough Water on Dawn Beach
[i216.photobucket.com]

Big Boat Day from the Boardwalk [i216.photobucket.com]

Bridge Opening at SMYC
[i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com]
[i216.photobucket.com]
[i216.photobucket.com]
[i216.photobucket.com]
[i216.photobucket.com]
[i216.photobucket.com]
[i216.photobucket.com]
[i216.photobucket.com]
[i216.photobucket.com]
[i216.photobucket.com]
[i216.photobucket.com]
[i216.photobucket.com]

Driftwood Bar [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com]
The pizza bus next to bar is not open on Monday, that's when we decided to try Barnicles. Strange how things work out sometimes.

Day Visit to Saba
Dear friends Wayne and Louise invited us to come visit them while they spent almost a week on Saba.
Of course the big question was if 6'9 Tom could fit in one of those little planes. [i216.photobucket.com]
He did, and we were off. [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com]
The next question was is there enough room to stop before you run out of room on Saba. [i216.photobucket.com]
There was,...plenty. [i216.photobucket.com]
Our hosts, waiting our deboarding. Not sure why the security guy is watching Wayne so closely.
[i216.photobucket.com]
It's a fascinating and unique island. Everything is on an incline, either going up or down. Here's the runway, probably the flattest piece of land on Saba. Road construction is incredible, but they're in much better shape than SXM.
[i216.photobucket.com]
[i216.photobucket.com]
[i216.photobucket.com]
[i216.photobucket.com]
The Island has four towns. One Medical School.
[i216.photobucket.com]
Here's a church where the artist used children of the village for the faces of the Angels.
[i216.photobucket.com]
Beathtaking views - [i216.photobucket.com]
This road leads to the beach. [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] See the picnic table. [i216.photobucket.com]
I should note, “the Beach” is there when in season. [i216.photobucket.com] This is not the season. Here's a look at the loading docks as well as the diver and other water excusions.
[i216.photobucket.com]
One of the artists in residence on Saba is this lady and her Jobean Glass Art.
[i216.photobucket.com]
Here's a couple views from the villa Wayne and Louise were staying. [i216.photobucket.com]
[i216.photobucket.com]
They're kitchen. [i216.photobucket.com]
And the runway looked short on landing at Saba. You should see how short it gets taking off.
Taking the plane to the very top edge of the runway, holding the brakes while totally gunning the engines, and then flying down the runway. And as the runway stops, the plane keeps going up. [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com]
Kind of reminds me of watching planes take off an aircraft carrier.
[i216.photobucket.com]
[i216.photobucket.com]
[i216.photobucket.com]
I want to thank Wayne and Louise for hiring us a good driver and tour guide. For taking their time showing us around their special vacation spot. We all really enjoyed the trip and sights.

Surprise & Special Night

In a well kept secret from me by Betty and friends, I was invited to have dinner and attend the St Martin Rotary Nord meeting. I was introduced to the membership by John Berglund, owner of Tijon.
I was presented with Rotary's Vocational Award.
[i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] This was an extremely humbling experience for me, because what I do or try to do is what so many others on various Boards try to do, and that is to provide current, factual information about St Martin/ St Maarten to people who will be visiting the Island. My enjoyment grows every year, every trip, helped by the small and large contributions of many people.
In any case, I want to say a very sincere Thank You to my SXM friends Paul and John, [i216.photobucket.com] and the Rotary Club Nord of St Martin, for this VERY special honor. [i216.photobucket.com] It will be one of my most prized possessions.

Final Random Thoughts and Observations
-

Had only one traffic jam during the entire trip.
Saw no crime.
Did see more patrols both on bicycles, cars, walking, both sides of SXM.
Weather was a little windier and wetter although no big storms, just more sprinkles the first week(1/28-2/4).
SXM is very green because of the moisture.
Marigot has more lighting in evening. Very bright in Market area.
Know it's old news, but Congrats to Deepti on her engagement. This will probably save my retirement funds from depleting before I'm 75.
Gas was 1.25/liter on Feb7. at Gess in Orleans. There's been at least one, if not two raises since then.
Apologies to Joyce on not having a full-blown celebration of her Birthday.
Thanks for the 80 plus people who love SXM who took time to join us at Captain Olivers. A wonderful turnout. Great snacks and bartending from Captain Olivers crew. Also a special Thank you to Susan and Bruce for their efforts in making this Get Together work.
[s216.photobucket.com] And a special acknowledgement to Elaine for always being the first to sign up for the Annual Get Together and always being the first to have her pictures posted of the event. [picasaweb.google.com]
I was told that the Captain's Wine and Cheese Bar which is located next to Dinghy Dock is going to be reopened as a Sports Bar shortly.

It was another totally awesome time. Love This Island!!!!!

Farewell pics.
[i216.photobucket.com]
[i216.photobucket.com]
[i216.photobucket.com]
[i216.photobucket.com]
[i216.photobucket.com]
[i216.photobucket.com]

And I must have been a good tour director again, 'cause I had “Car Service” waiting for me back in St Louis. [i216.photobucket.com]

Options: ReplyQuote

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |